RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of switching out my radiator on my 98 p38 4.6 gems engine. I was at the junkyard and I came across a 99 RR 4.0 with the Bosch engine. I seen the radiator and thought WOOHOO found a radiator well I take it out and all get home about to rip my old rad out cuz as you can see it is busted and jb welded where it comes in. Come to find out the hose going to the block is on the wrong side. Oh yeah there was many explicit words flying out of my mouth. I know there's differences from the gems and bosch engine found that out when I found out doing the oil pan that there's no gasket for the gems engine after buying a gasket that only fits the Bosch. Anyways I didn't think the rad would be different as well. Would there be any way to run the hose to the block from the left side without going over the fan shroud and alternator? Or did I waste my money and time?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
It's possible but why would you want to? Cooling is pretty important on these so why would you want to fit a radiator from a car in a junkyard that may well be in there because the engine is scrap?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
You can buy a new one for $230 from AB, I wouldn't bother with used on a radiator.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only grabbed it coming across it in the yard looking for parts for my truck. Just a short term fix for $45 till work picks up so then I can get a new 1. Friend said about running a hose but I don't see it working without getting pinched over the shroud and hood or running behind the alt. And since I have been reading this site for about 2-3 yrs would try to get advise. And seeing that twice now gems/Bosch engines are really different I need to start paying attention and doing my homework

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just ordered a rad from ab. Unfortunately wasn't $230 it's $300 But as mentioned y bother with a used. Thanx

·
Registered
771 Posts
I removed the top or rad, repaired a broken pipe with a lpg fitting, heated up and threaded in, then put a nut on the back, worked a treat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's why I got 1 from there Idk why they charged me full price. I emailed them about that since they aren't open right now. If i don't have a reply in the morning I'll be calling. Ty again

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
The folks at AB are always top notch, helpful and often will bend over backwards to assist when an error is made.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts