RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to list this in a separate post, I'm thinking about removing the Bosch engine from the 2000 parts car and putting it in the 96 Gems car. What do I need to do to make this happen? Please give me your input.
Thanks Scotty...

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have one of those on my 99 Gems. Mine came from a 2001/2002 Discovery and Rover Cannibal did the Bosch to Gems swap before sending me the engine. From what I saw, they JB welded the Crank sensor bracket (I believe the angle is different on a Bosch) to use the Gems Flywheel. The oil pump, timing chain and gears were changed. You will have to use the Intake manifold from the Gems. Not sure if they swapped the Pan. The one that came with the engine was different to mine and the bracket holding the Transmission Fluid lines was mounted too high.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow...I think i'll leave it alone Thank You :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Interesting idea!

What exactly is your goal for doing the swap?

- replace an older (short) engine with a newer one, if so, it's only hardware, and I'd think it would be quite doable, reusing the GEMS intake and possibly flywheel/cranksensor.
- get some extra performance/economy with the Bosch, which would require swapping the ECU as well. I fear this could lead to some communication problems with other modules like the GEMS, transmission control etc. :( :think: If considering that route, I'd think about using Megasquirt instead of Bosch or GEMS. Having just come back from 3 weeks in Russia (Ladoga Trophy) in a '88 RRC with Megasquirt, I have become a big fan! Compared to the old Lucas EFI, economy has improved, the engine feels much livelier and best of all, it's much more waterproof. 8-|=
I'd would be quite a challenge to do it to a P38a, but definitely a worthwhile challenge. :clap:

Greetz,

Filip

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that what I was thinking, trade the Gems 225K miles in for the Bosch 115k..

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Scotty said:
Yeah that what I was thinking, trade the Gems 225K miles in for the Bosch 115k..
In that case I don't see any problems, just a bit of extra work swapping the intake manifold and flywheel/sensor. :wink:
But you really should consider Megasquirt. :lol: :mrgreen:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts