RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BOSCH 4.6 Valley Gasket/Intake Manifold Gasket Repair--wish me luck!

Im pretty sure the valley gasket has finally quit for good on me. I have the classic coolant urination all down the back end of motor, and i can hear it hissing pretty loudly now. Needless to say it doesnt hold coolant for long.

Anyway, I have done lots of searches and read everything I can. I wanted to get everyone's input on getting this done. Before anyone tells me to search the forum, ive done some reading as this topic has been covered extensively-much of it however is the GEMS motor.
I'm about to pull this puppy into my garage once the intake manifold kit arrives from Atlantic British. my questions are:

1. Any tricks for a shadetree mechanic that Rave wont tell you to aid in assembly/disassembly? I dont have a torque wrench, but I can probably borrow one- I'm guessing I'll need it :shock:
2. What tools are necessary or will make the job that much easier? I need to make my list and have everything i might possibly need ready to go.
3. Besides the Valve cover gaskets, what else should I do while I am taking the old bird apart? I have 144k miles, and I do notice some leaks from the oil lines amongst other things.
4. If I want to powerwash the motor down to blast off all of that gunk before I rip it apart, what should I cover up? I once washed down a gems engine and fried the TPS, so dont tell me nothing... :) Coil packs? what?

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
48 Posts
Re: BOSCH 4.6 Valley Gasket/Intake Manifold Gasket Repair--wish me luck!

It might be the over achiever in me, but I am planning on doing this together with my head gaskets, rocker cover gaskets, basically the whole package that you get from AB. I have 183,000mi on mine so I know it wont hurt to get them renewed.
Make sure you can get your hands on a torque wrench. Sears had them on sale for $39.99 instead of $80, but I am not sure if that sale is still going on.
Not really a trick of the trade or anything, but read the procedure all the way through before you start. This might be more of a reminder for myself than for you, I tend to get halfway into a project and realize I forgot a part, need a tool...you name it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks blues man.

I'm shocked about the lack of responses. This used to be a really active forum. Is it waning?? Gosh normally toadie is usually good for a snarky remark or 2, but.....just crickets?

·
Registered
719 Posts

as long as ive been here you need at least a full rotation of the earth before the comments start flowing. given the international nature of the forum and all...

i just finished doing a top end rebuild on mine and just need to get around to plugging everything back in... just follow rave and mark where everything went... i wrote on painter's tape on the sensors/wires etc to mark where everything went back. you shouldn't have as much trouble as i did since i had to remove the whole motor...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

hah yes we used to get replies within minutes....

·
Registered
82 Posts

I just completed my tappet replacement surgery, as you might have read in my help needed thread..
With the exception of my fuel delivery problem (not solved yet, but I haven't really been working on it either), everything was pretty easy. The only things that were actual work was the rear coil pack lower bolts. I thought it was strange that the lower bolts were loose when I went to take it all apart, but I understand why now. They are a serious ***** to reach once the upper manifold is in place. I was able to reach one side, but the other will have to stay loose since I lost patience.
I looked on the site for the kit you mentioned, but only found the gems kit. I don't know why it would make any difference. The head-manifold mating is the same, it's the upper-lower manifold gasket that's different. Also get the radiator exit pipe o-ring, along with the heater pipe o-ring. Now also is a good time to fix the throttle body preheater gasket too if it's leaking.

·
Registered
82 Posts

With the rocker covers off, I also took the time to polish the fins that run along the top. Sadly, once it's back on, you really cant see much of it so it was one of those things you do for yourself. :neutral:

·
Registered
82 Posts

Here you can find the gasket kit I mentioned:
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC4082BK.cfm

Here are the head bolts that you will have to replace if you take them off:
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9224.cfm
afox is just replacing the lower manifold gasket, so all of that stuff is overkill.
Manifold gasket and valve cover gaskets: Rockauto (Plenum gasket = $15.20, Valve cover gaskets = $3.23 each)
Both 0-rings: Dealer ($7ish for both)
Sealer: Red high temp rtv ($5ish)
Valve cover bolt o-rings: Get them anywhere. Just take one with you and get ones that fit snug. Or you could just get new bolts. They should come with them. Cheaper to just replace the o's though.

·
Registered
48 Posts

afox is just replacing the lower manifold gasket, so all of that stuff is overkill.
Manifold gasket and valve cover gaskets: Rockauto (Plenum gasket = $15.20, Valve cover gaskets = $3.23 each)
Both 0-rings: Dealer ($7ish for both)
Sealer: Red high temp rtv ($5ish)
Valve cover bolt o-rings: Get them anywhere. Just take one with you and get ones that fit snug. Or you could just get new bolts. They should come with them. Cheaper to just replace the o's though.
Originally he asked if there was anything tricks or items he should do while he had it opened up and I mentioned doing the head gaskets and stuff as well. I was merely showing the links to the kits I was referring to.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

What size 12 point socket do I need for the rocket cover bolts? I recently ordered new ones in anticipation of replacement. Don't recall if they have an oring.

Any other tools? Anyone else have trouble with the coilpack bolts? What tools did you use to get to them?

·
Registered
82 Posts

*Bluesman, I didn't mean to discount your post. It didn't sound like afox wanted to go as deep into it as you are, so I was just suggesting less work and expense in his case.
Afox,
Rocker cover bolts are either/both 8mm or 5/16" I recall. Heed torque specs on these. Not too tight...
New bolts should have vitalon o-rings... Dealer sourced ones will.
The problem I had with the coil pack bolts is that I didn't unhinge the hood(bonnet) to gain more access to the top/rear of the engine. I suppose if you could climb up onto the manifold and look straight down the rear of it, you could see it all better. If you do it while standing on the ground, you need to be 7' tall with long skinny arms to reach them easily.
Tools needed are pretty basic. Just 8-15ish mm sockets, extensions, a universal+extension for the coil pack bolts. a few of the same in open end/box end wrenches, etc.
One thing I forgot to mention is that if the hoses have never been off, you will probably need to pry off the factory hose clamps, making them unusable again. So once you have all the hoses off necessary, close the factory clamps the best you can, count them all and buy replacement hose clamps in the equivalent sizes.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Of course don't forget to buy coolant!
And carb cleaner to blast the throttle body and intake runners while it's all apart...

·
Registered
948 Posts

W/ regards to tools, you gotta have a decent set of tools. Socket sets, torque wrench, etc. If you have a Harborfreight near you, you'll be surprised at how much tools you can get for under $100, perhaps even under $50. Torque wrench can be had for around $9, if I remember correctly. Do have to worn you that the tools won't last a lifetime, though they come w/ a lifetime guarantee.

As you have a lot of the stuff apart, maybe consider the following replacements:
1) coil pack
2) HT cords
3) idler pulleys
4) Coolant hoses-All of them in the engine room.
5) Tensioner pulley
6) water pump
7) Fan, if it shows age.
8) Spark plugs

Obviously, it depends on your budget, but all the above replacements will be easier with the top end, and a lot of other stuff, off.

BTW, what brand valley gasket did you go with. I've been warned previously of using cheap stuff. Victor Reinz is supposedly pretty good.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Great, thanks for the suggestions.
I ordered kit through Atlantic British and totally overpaid, but whatever. Not sure who the manufacturer is.
Do I need a fan wrench?

I have blue plug wires on the 02, not sure if they're aftermarket. Anyone know?

I lost the spot in the manual where the valley gasket overhaul is. Where the heck did it go??

How much deeper in terms of time and effort is the head gasket work?

I haven't heard a reply on the powerwashing the engine question yet.

These are all great hints guys! Thanks for everything so far.

·
Registered
948 Posts

If you ordered through Atlantic British, and overpaid, then there's good chance that they are Victor Reinz. If not, you may get Allmakes. Fan wrench is good to have. Not too expensive, either. If you leave your fan in there, there's good chance you accidentally bump into it, and break the frail plastic. Don't ask me how I know this.

Blue wire is not OEM. Sounds like somebody already replaced it atleast once.

Don't have RAVE handy in front of me, so can't help you there. Should be under engine overhaul for '99 and after Land Rover V8 engine page, or was it under the intake manifold page. Just totally guessing here.

Head gasket is whole another story. It's gonna easily up your work hour by double, not including wait time involved with having the heads done. You will really need a good torque wrench for this one.

Can't help you w/ the power washing question. Never washed an engine before, not on the Rover or other vehicles I own.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
212 Posts

I lost the spot in the manual where the valley gasket overhaul is. Where the heck did it go??
It is in the chapter 30- Manifold & Exhaust system.
You should get an o-ring for the heater pipe.
Be careful during removal of old rocker cover gasket. Don't let the bushings in the gasket drop to the head. It will find a way down.
I end up replacing oil pan gasket to find it, but it was well worth it because oil pan was filthy with gunk. Besides, RR's oil pan gasket is the easiest to replace in the planet earth: you don't have to remove one single extra part.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts

Washing the motor - the key is is NOT power.

Spray or paint on some engine cleaner bit by bit, wait a while, and then hose off GENTLY with a fine spray which must be kept away from the ecu (Thor), the abs stuff and similar.

I had mine power washed once andf they totally stuffed it - tore the bonnet lining, blasted things and ruined the ecu ......

·
Registered
922 Posts

Suggest you have a look at www.paulp38a.com ...he has posted an "Engine Refresh" description which maybe helpful. Also recommend you use a Payen metal valley gasket smeared sparingly around the edges ...both sides...with Loctite 518. The composite valley gaskets can delaminate. Elring brand rocker cover gaskets are very good ...do not over tighten, and don't use them in conjunction with RTV sealant... good luck with it!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

image.jpg
The brass piece that goes in the hose/throttle body above the intake appears to have come off with the hose. What do I do?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts