RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone out there has any details regarding the differential unit used in the BW tranfer cases, model numbers, dimensions etc. I'm wondering if it's possible to put a diff lock in the borg warner, after all, it is just a conventional differentiall at heart.
I'm thinking that with so many after market locker manafacturers, arb, pro locker, kams, quaffe etc., it may be possible to 'adapt' something.
Someone will inevitably tell me to put an LT230 T,R or Q in, but I honestly like the BW for how quiet it is, and the feel of the VC on the road.
I'm sure P38 owners would love this also.

·
Registered
523 Posts
benji said:
it is just a conventional differentiall at heart.
It's not a conventional diff. Have a look at the exploded diagram in RAVE, and you'll see that it's very different to a conventional diff. YOu will need to go LT230 if you want a manual locker.

Is there a reason you want a manual lock rather then the automatic one in the BW?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
yes its a box from a P38, but they are fairly similar

taken from http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15605&p=263665

mrmack said:
Allrity...here is my bad chain before the repair....box pulled and opened

As you can see the chain is way too loose..why this happens i am still investagating......108,000 miles on the rig when I first started hearing the popping noise

as stated above they use a VC for lockup and no you cant fit a locker in.......

more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscous_coupling_unit

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
While there's no way that I know of to make the BW box completely lockable, you can have its smooth power delivery with (as I understand it) the ability to manually lock the center diff by converting to an LT-230 and adding a (very expensive at around $1,400) Quaife LSD to it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, thankyou so much for the pic. I neglected to search the p38 forum.
In so many ways the BW is better than the lt230's, quietness, smoothness of operation etc. But sometimes i've felt that by the time the viscous coupling locks up, i'm allready stuck.
There's also the argument that the vc's fail. It will cost me $870 Aus to replace the one in my 95, and a difflock conversion may be seen as a failsafe modification; if there was one available.
To be completely honest I really like the vc. I feel it makes the vehicle hold the road better when cornering, especially in the wet where I feel I get a lot less understeer than with an lt230.
At the moment i'm just trying to find out if there is any such thing, or if anyone has thrown around the idea. A VC and a diff lock in a borg warner case would be great... for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts