RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flat battery and then the bonnet wouldn't open! I found a few ideas on how to pop the catches but not easy to see what you're doing. What I found is that from underneath you can see the centre of the catches and the pin that screws into the bonnet has a big slot in it. With the aid of a long scew driver I simply unscrewed the pin. Mine wasn't that tight but if it is you could fashion a long screwdriver from sockets / extensions and use a ratchet handle to shift it. The slot is wide and deep so you should be able to get a lot of torque on it.

Incidently I charged the battery by connecting the charger to a live fuse (under the seat) and a convenient earth. This meant I could wrestle with the catches in the dry,

I'm not entirely sure why it wouldn't open (one of the catches popped but the other didn't) I think it was a combination of a gummed up mechanism and a stretched cable. As well as cleaning and greasing the mechanism I made a spacer to effectively shorten the cable, as they are not adjustable. Feels a lot more positive now. The spacer is about 6mm long, made from a 5mm steel rod with a 3.5mm hole down the middle. If you then cut a slot through one side you can feed the cable into the slot then slide the spacer over end piece. With the spacer on the far side of the lever it effectively shortens the cable by the length of the spacer.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I didn't know you could reach both pins from underneath, thanks for the info. When we had a cable break, I managed to wiggle my arm up next to the radiator just enough to pull the catch by hand.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts