Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do these two items have anything to do with each other? I spoke to someone about their P38 and was told the EAS didn't work because the bonnet catch was broken. It was dealer selling the car so I'm not sure how much they know about the P38.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
there are two bonnet catches. the right on has a the "bonnet open" warning microswitch. Unplug it and any issues they are trying to pawn off on you will go away as the systems will believe the bonnet is closed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would the "bonnet open" stop the EAS working and would disconnecting it fix the problem, or are there two separate faults which he is erroneously linking together.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
From memory (my bonnet catch microswitch died so it is disconnected), having the bonnet open doesn't inhibit the EAS, only the doors and tailgate do that. Easy to check though, if you disconnect the plug beneath the RH bonnet catch the bonnet open message will disappear. If the EAS still doesn't work, it's faulty.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My Bosch/Thor the hood open does not stop the EAS from working, with running engine it constantly adjusts the heightlevel but that can be due to a dead spot in one of my heightsensors.
Only driversdoor and tailgate stop EAS from working, that is the compressor runs but only fills the tank.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
No the latch has nothing to do with the EAS. However if the latch microswitch has failed you will have a bonnet open error and alarm errors. Disconnecting it will take care of all of those so that you can concentrate on the actual issue with the EAS. Is there a 35MPH max error on your display. Are other errors showing? WHat is the EAS actually doing and not doing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for info guys. It's a car I've seen advertised and when I enquired about MOT I was told it's not got one because the suspension doesn't work due to a broken bonnet catch. I've not seen the vehicle but may be worth a look. If everything else is right it could be worth it.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
If it's cheap enough and you can do the work yourself, go for it. There's not a lot on a P38 that can't be fixed cheaply but the fact that they are a bit different scares people away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's cheap enough and you can do the work yourself, go for it. There's not a lot on a P38 that can't be fixed cheaply but the fact that they are a bit different scares people away.
I think less than a grand is cheap enough. I've not long had the one I have, private sale, then I got a gearbox problem, a few quid to get fixed. There are also numerous little jobs that need doing, so I'm looking at possibly getting one in better condition, cosmetic and interior, then parting company with mine. I believe the EAS is not too complicated or costly to fix so it's a possibility depending on the rest of the car.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks for info guys. It's a car I've seen advertised and when I enquired about MOT I was told it's not got one because the suspension doesn't work due to a broken bonnet catch. I've not seen the vehicle but may be worth a look. If everything else is right it could be worth it.
As others have said, it won't be the bonnet catch although the "BEEP BEEP BEEP" will get annoying after a while. Don't guess about EAS problems, just build the cable and download the EAS Unlock tool and read the faults.

You can then use the software to run the compressor to get some air up, lift it off its bump stops manually, read the faults again and unlock, read them *again* to check they're clear (if the sensors are faulty it'll say "Incorrect height RR/RL/FR/FL" as appropriate) and then see if it works.

If the EAS faults keep coming back - particularly "Pressure switch stuck high" or "Valve stuck closed" ones - then you've got a faulty driver pack.

Every driver pack I have removed from a breaker has been intermittently faulty in at least one channel. Every single one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts