RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This behavior started last week: no, to v-e-r-y slow acceleration when trying to pull on to fwy on-ramp, no kick-down when floored. Slight stutter @ 65 mph.

Idle is very good. Slow starts up to speed are fine.

I'm thinking my weekend project will start with new fuel filter... I don't when, if ever, it's been changed (1993 LWB. 4.2 w/162K on rig).

Anything else?

Thanks,

--ccec

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Poor timing/vacuum leak. Classics are great fun when you snap a vacuum line to the advance or you loose a advance weight spring.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poor timing/vacuum leak. Classics are great fun when you snap a vacuum line to the advance or you loose a advance weight spring.
Thanks RRToadHall,

That makes a lot of sense as well. I'll check it out manana. Didn't have time to pop the bonnet today.

--ccec

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay -- new info:

Fiddled with the vacuum connection from the manifolod to the distributor. Tried the old test to see if you can feel the vacuum advance springs pull against you by creating your own vacuum with your mouth. Didn't really feel a for-sure "spring-return" kind of feel. Had to pull the truck around the block to run an errand, so did a little test drive -- and to warm it up before chewcking timing. Truck started, idled and ran well, until I stopped to talk to my neighbor for a minute after running ~ mile. Then it died while idling in the street... She NEVER does that.

Woudn't re-start.

Luckily a down hill run to my hoiuse -- So coasted into my garage and neighbor helped push all the way in. Would re-start but then die after 2 seconds.

I will switch out the fuel filter, but I'm thinking this may be a fuel pump issue. I don't have a way to check fuel pressure, so I will "repair by replacement" on this one -- hopefully!

--ccec

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys,

Gave it a good look today and switched out the fuel filter. Still didn't run more than 5 seconds. Installed a new fuel pump and now all running perfect. So for future reference, if you experience a huge flat-spot on acceleration (my first symptom), then a little chugging at normal speeds, then engine stalling... this is ONE of the possibilities. The whole day of fuel filter and fuel pump replacement took me ~ 4 hours.

Regards,

--ccec

1 - 5 of 5 Posts