RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
59 Posts
Normal driving, all is fine, vehicle sits level and handles as it should. Put 1000 pounds in the back, it sags. Presume it is a weak or failed Boge unit. Since this is a working girl, would like to have it ride level with a load.. can this be rebuilt/replaced without a second mortgage?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,118 Posts
There is a test procedure in the workshop manual. Gap at the rubbers unloaded should be 67mm. Load it up (450 kg), check the gap, drive it for 5 k over undulating roads or similar and then check the gap at the bumps - it should lift about 20 mm with someone in the drivers seat. (This is abridged and by memory - suggest you check in RAVE to get it right).

The unit is supposed to be self energising, whatever that means.

LR says you can't fix it, so unless there is a clever approach you would need to get a replacement.

The cheapest fix would be to fit the heavy duty springs that came standard on some range rovers - springs are cheap and easy to fit.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John: Guess these things are made out of unobtainium...at least there are other plan B options available. On to other things, have brake fluid coming from somewhere, spraying on left fender...and need to replace a fog lite after a deer strike (no other damage thanks to Atlantic British bar). Deer didn't survive....and wife does not cook road kill.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,118 Posts
I think it is a Boge Nivomat - you could do an internet search and see if you can find one. I believe they were fitted to lots of cars including Volvos so it might not be as hard as you think to source. Fitting it might be another problem. The way it works is that if it is sitting low, everytime it goes up and down it pumps a bit of oil which eventually jacks up the body. When it gets to a certain height, there is a bypass valve so it stops pumping.

Fitting a set of heavy duty springs (I think they are red and whites, some people call them police spec) should give you an extra 20 mm or so and is a cheap fix. I would try that first.

cheers

John

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Sourcing one shouldn't be all that difficult or you can have yours rebuilt. The Boge units were also fitted to 110s and I believe 130s. I would never have removed mine as it allowed for softer springs, a better ride and better traction off road. Once you start bodging in harsher springs and different shocks you loose the ride and control the rig was intended to have.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Sourcing one shouldn't be all that difficult or you can have yours rebuilt. The Boge units were also fitted to 110s and I believe 130s. I would never have removed mine as it allowed for softer springs, a better ride and better traction off road. Once you start bodging in harsher springs and different shocks you loose the ride and control the rig was intended to have.
Agree 100%. When I went to a 93, that did not have one due to it previously having air suspension, I missed the off-road performance it provided. It allows a lot better wheel articulation by providing a centre pivot point and keeps the vehicle flatter. I use the ones off a 110 as they are larger and built to handle a bit more. I built my own tester and if you are interested you can see it in my Ute thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts