Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any hot tips on how to separate this thing (where it connects to the top of the diff). I've done two before and they pretty well fell apart but this one (on a wrecker I want the strut out of) is welded. There is a landrover pickle tool - does anyone know what the jaw spacing is - I'm gessing 32 mm.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Don't know if a regular hand held torch will be efficient enough...at work we heat the stuck bits then slam on some ice water...usually does the trick. Of course, I'm dealing with locomotives and renewing all bits we perform this process on. Doubt there'd be any weakening of the metal as it's not going to get that hot.

·
Registered
282 Posts
if you just want the strut and are not interested in the axle, then cut the bracket out on top of the axle so you can get it onto a bench.

Careful with heat - if you cook the Boge you'll know about it (or not as the case may be) they're not keen on getting hot - you're working in quite a confined space with a gas axe (although granted some inches away from the Boge itself) - just watch where the flame is going

If you have a mate to help, a big pry bar and smacking the living mahonies out of it should see it free.

As a last resort, a 9" grinder will cut through the ball joint (which if it's that tight needs replacing anyway) just above the axle bracket.

good luck

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up soaking it with WD40 over a couple of days, then I got into the pickle fork with the sledge hammer - popped out on the third good belt. I was hoping to save the ball joint but alas the rubber boot was trashed.

The boge strut looks good - I can't compress it and the truck I took it out of was sitting up nice and high, not dragging it's tail like mine, so here's hoping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts