RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered in the BMW vs Jag debate but I wanted to know if theres a difference between the BMW (I have an 05) and an 06 RRS or even a Later LR3? I bought this truck with about 100,000 miles so I didn't have high expectations. I put 50,0000 miles on it in a single year almost trouble free including 6 2400 mile road trips without incident. I'm not bitter just yet but at 150,000 Miles the past 9 weeks have been hell with back to back problems literally 6 days or less and its something new. I know I know 150,000 $80k truck what do you expect but I'm thinking about my next purchase its either an RRS or back to a C5 Corvette. Over the summer I've had an air bag burst, rebuild the air compressor, alternator, water pump, hood cable, door latch cable, tail light, belt, FSR, battery, rear shock, and now its looking like a radiator. Is the sport any better?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know this has been covered in the BMW vs Jag debate but I wanted to know if theres a difference between the BMW (I have an 05) and an 06 RRS or even a Later LR3? I bought this truck with about 100,000 miles so I didn't have high expectations. I put 50,0000 miles on it in a single year almost trouble free including 6 2400 mile road trips without incident. I'm not bitter just yet but at 150,000 Miles the past 9 weeks have been hell with back to back problems literally 6 days or less and its something new. I know I know 150,000 $80k truck what do you expect but I'm thinking about my next purchase its either an RRS or back to a C5 Corvette. Over the summer I've had an air bag burst, rebuild the air compressor, alternator, water pump, hood cable, door latch cable, tail light, belt, FSR, battery, rear shock, and now its looking like a radiator. Is the sport any better?
I say no. The RRS will still loose an alternator, air bag, compresssor, water pump, radiator, etc, by 150k. Most of these things are known replacement/maintenance items. You just got hit with them all at once. If you had a timing chain issue, or something like that, I'd say it's BMW thing. I think the RRS will be worse, and ready to take my hits for stating that. There's no way you can choose between an RRS and a C5. They do completely different things. I have my RR for hauling family, going off road, doing truck things. My other vehicles are for fun, and everyday solo driving. If you can only have one, go with the RRS. You can't even take two people with you, buy a new grill, get a big grocery order, etc with a C5.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I say no. The RRS will still loose an alternator, air bag, compresssor, water pump, radiator, etc, by 150k. Most of these things are known replacement/maintenance items. You just got hit with them all at once. If you had a timing chain issue, or something like that, I'd say it's BMW thing. I think the RRS will be worse, and ready to take my hits for stating that. There's no way you can choose between an RRS and a C5. They do completely different things. I have my RR for hauling family, going off road, doing truck things. My other vehicles are for fun, and everyday solo driving. If you can only have one, go with the RRS. You can't even take two people with you, buy a new grill, get a big grocery order, etc with a C5.
You're right about them all happening at once that things that really irked me were the hood cable and door cable because I just felt like those are things that just shouldn't break and definitely not weeks apart. On the RRS vs C5 thing I do like the hauling asap but I'm in my mid 20's, single, and in grad school. This is my far car with a back door since my 2nd car which was 12 cars ago and 10 years ago, I do like being able pick up extra people but I also like my sports cars and I've fit four people in a c5' me a friend and two girls in the back hatch fetal or 69 position in my crazier days. I just hope this bad streak on the rover ends.

·
Registered
687 Posts
You might be better off with a Jag l322, where most of the kinks and issues have been rooted out, where as a early 06rrs is the first production year of that model so you get all the first year problems that come with it. Kind of like the BMW version of the l322.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ive got one of each and Id go with the RRS supercharged, I love my 04 FFRR also but the supercharged is a good compromise between the c5 and the RRS hse. Its more fun to drive than my vette too and Im a vette guy from way back. And being 20 something you will turn more heads and pull more (you know what) with the Rover.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive got one of each and Id go with the RRS supercharged, I love my 04 FFRR also but the supercharged is a good compromise between the c5 and the RRS hse. Its more fun to drive than my vette too and Im a vette guy from way back. And being 20 something you will turn more heads and pull more (you know what) with the Rover.
Thats was I was thinking about the RRS supercharged being more fun to drive while pratical. I owned a 99 Ford Lighting supercharger 5.4 and it was just as quick at the vette in the 1/4. I ran a 13.2 in it but the torque that a supercharged v8 makes throughout the RPMS is way more fun than the highway acceleration of the average v8 sports car. The truck benefitted from higher gearing though 3:55 to 2:73 or 3:15 in the vette. I've also looked at some of the pullied and tuned RR's and they seem cool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts