RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I have a P38 with the BMW M51 lump. I bought it with an overheat issue which (long story short) turnned out to be no less than 3 cracks in the head. Bought a recon head off the ebay, fitted it and annoyingly it is chuffing fumes passed injector 5.
I had anealed the seals, so thought I'd try new seals; still chuffing. On closer inspection with an inspection camera the injector seat in the head has a knick out of the face.

A mate has a universal set of seat cutters, but they are all for slim tipped type injectors by the look of them and the through pin won't hold centre in the BMW injector port. I'd like to avoid taking the head off again if at all possible. If it comes to that, then I'm just going to accelerate my engine swap plans, but I'm loathe to do that for the sake of recutting a single injector seat.

Is it possible to recut these seats with the head in situ as with other types... if so, could anyone advise me as to where I can get the correct cutting tool for the job please? Any advice or opinions welcome. Thanks
in advance :) Paul

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
771 Posts
I’d be tempted to have a call around the local engineering shops down your way, my local one has popped out and recut valve seats, helicoiled blocks, anything I ask he does.
have you done a google search, there’s loads of seat cutter sets on there,

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
it is not a brilliant idea to do it in situ unless you have an excellent aspirator.Some machining shops here do it in situ if needed, Vinicio next door does it for tractors and such like. I would do as the previous poster said, ask around the machining shops

1 - 3 of 3 Posts