Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow Rover enthusiasts, long time/first time here. I've been looking for a mint low-mileage L322 from the BMW era for a while now and nearly pulled a trigger a few times, but faith always intervened. This time, however, I am fairly confident I'm getting one, having given a deposit on an '04 model with only 47k mi.
Being a BMW guy all of my life, I was very hopeful that factory BMW diagnostic (ISTA-P/D, Autologic, etc.) would work on these but a quick call to a peer in the field shattered those dreams, hence my question: is there a semi-professional grade diagnostic tool on the market for BMW-drivetrain Rovers? By semi-professional, I mean:
- ability to read/clear fault codes in all installed control units;
- ability to read live date from all installed control units;
- ability to perform rudimentary coding, such as EDC calibration, ABS/SRS re-coding after component replacement, etc.;
Majority of tools I came across start with above features for 2010+ models and I haven't been able to find anything for 2003-2005 vintage. Without proper diagnostic I suspect working on these cars is not unlike to flying blind: terrifyingly exhilarating and bound to end up very badly.
Appreciate any advice on my conundrum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, I use the GAP IID Bluetooth tool from GAP diagnostics in Canada, for my 2004 L322 TD6.
http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/iidtool/
I can pretty much do everything that you require from a LandRover specific OBD 2 tool.
There is also the All Comms 111 tool from Storey Wilson in Canada:-
http://www.rswsolutions.com/
and the Nanocoms from Blackbox Solutions:-
https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/
Any of these three tools should provide you with all of the OBD diagnostic functionality you require.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JMS! I checked the websites above and it seems that with exceptions of Nanocom, the others don't do a whole lot of coding/component activations. Definitely want to investigate this further to see if there's a semi-pro version that can do close to it all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks JMS! I checked the websites above and it seems that with exceptions of Nanocom, the others don't do a whole lot of coding/component activations. Definitely want to investigate this further to see if there's a semi-pro version that can do close to it all.
What did you find out? I have a 04 l322 hse as well ! I have been all over the net as well I see alot !!! But this doesn't do that , that doesn't do this etc. I'm looking for calibration functions for eas ( installed all new status and bags), coding , batt reset( new yellow top) been slowly fixing this beauty up for my sound first car! He's 12 now lol so I have time Haha I have a 04 l322 as well and he loves it!!! So I want him to have one like mine but better !!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iiDTool is the best one out there, iLand is a close second for a little bit less. Not much else is available for these BMW era models, unlike later variants. I personally wouldn't waste money on iCarsfoft or similar, coverage just isn't there for the things you will need.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,697 Posts
I have a T4, a Faultmate MSV, a Faultmate SV, amd a GAP IID. My preference is for the Faultmate. My GAP is older and not the BT version. T4 isn't very portable but it isn't VIN locked so I can use it on any up the L322 (or other LR). I've had the Faultmate MSV for many years - previously for my P38A.

Cost-wise the GAP IID is the most economical to buy. Mine travels with me in the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok this is great info ! I have seen all of the meñtioned items and have yet to pull the trigger on anything. I've been all over the net and have seen a bunch of things and not knowing fully about them all I wasn't and still am not fully sure what it all means lol. I've seen stuff on Alibaba that says it can do stuff , wish, ebay, amazon,fb marketplace , etc. Bunch of code words , and numbers etc that I don't understand so I have been reading about what all that means etc. Still confused haha I don't mind doing the research I am a avid reader so it's fun for me tracking this down **** maybe I'll crack the JLR code and have free diagnostic for the people lol like what is the system this year works on ? What is the best cable I need , etc. All of that stuff just so I know in my head to satisfy my OCD or it'll drive me crazy till I find out everything. I want to be able to teach my son everything so he can handle these beauties when I am gone. You see I have some health issues and I have a few years left 5 tops with treatment and this project has kept me going. It has brought my son and I together like never before. I don't have alot of $ because of treatments and my unemployment account got hacked and had it emptied out and bank hasn't done anything for 4 months! So any help is appreciated to keep me and my mind busy!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great point by p38arover regarding portability: with IID or iLand tool, you can keep it in the glovebox and potentially read/clear/fix things on the road. Mine also lives in the car.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
P.S. Sorry to hear about your health, PapaBear. Keep an eye on the classifieds section here and on eBay, occasionally the used units do come up and you can just transfer the ownership to you. Best of luck and keep on wrenching, it's great that your son is interested in this and I'm sure he will look back on your time together fondly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts