RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am Looking at buying a 2004-2005 Range rover and I have heard conflicting opinions on the 2003- May 2005 Bmw Engine compared to the newer Ford Engine.

I am looking for better build quality and relieability (Yes I know its a Range Rover , looking for any inch I can get!)

I am looking for peoples advice, experience and opinions on this subject.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
While I have been a long time fan and owner of many BMWs, there is no question that what Ford did for Land Rover and Jaguar was amazing. I had a 2004 Range Rover that I bought new in 2004 and had lots of the typical problems right out of the gate. I have since owned a 2008 HSE and now a 2009 HSE with zero problem and most owners of the 2007 and later cars have reported the same thing. Get a 2007 or newer if at all possible. There is a reason the pre 2006s are cheap.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The 2006 has the old interior.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The 2006 has the updated interior over the 2005 and earlier offerings. This is the first year of the rear entertainment system for example. The 06 engine is not a Ford engine. It is a jaguar engine. I've had both engines, the BMW engine is very nice but the Jaguar engine is more powerful, lighter, and generally a superior powerplant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I have read reviews of 2004- 2006 Range Rovers and read multiole opinions in on this site.

The only conclusion I have come to is during these years Range Rovers with either the BMW or jag engine can be a real lemon or ok with a few of the usual maint problems, it really depends on the individual car. Everyone seems to have a different story and it seems to be luck?

Would I be right in my conclusion or do you guys regard one as more relieable than the other? (I know this maybe a dumb question when talking about a RR)

Bottom Line which is more relieable Older BMW engine or the NEwer Jag engine?

again thanks for any advice

·
Registered
405 Posts
The 07 and newer Rover is way more reliable IMO. I have had numerous new defenders, Discos and Rovers all of which had problems right out of the gate but which I accepted as Land Rover quirkiness. I purchased my 08 and after 10,000 miles was shocked that I experienced 0 problems so I talked with the service manager at the dealership who is also a friend and he told me they had far fewer problems with the 07 and newer vehicles due to a lot of improvements that Ford had done. I posted here on the forum, fishing for those with 07 or newer Rovers with problems and apparently just about everyone had the same experience as me. WTF? Rovers have become reliable and nobody knows! I now have a 09 after rolling the 08 while off roading and still no problems. Are there 04-06s that have been reliable? Yes. Will my 09 fall apart at 100,000 miles? Maybe if I keep it that long but in the meantime, it's strange driving a Rover with no issues.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
As a reliability engineer, it might be interesting to write a report or white paper on the reliability transformation that Land Rover has seen since being bought by BMW and ultimately Ford, and maybe a follow-up on the effects of being a Tata brand. (remember, save the Tata's). If I did a good job at it, I could get it published in reliability journals & newsletters. :think:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here is the deal....The BMW engine has MORE torque and gets to its full HP LOWER and faster in the RPM range....so around town its FASTER than a 07+. Yes, I am looking at 09s and disappointed that the HSE is slower than my 03 HSE. I looked up the numbers and it confirmed what I felt...The Jag engine has less torque and more HP at a HIGHER RPM so it takes longer to get into its powerband whereas the BMW has more low end grunt. My BMW has been flawless...its not that engine that has given me any problems...There are PLENTY of 745's and 545's with LOTS of miles out there....so its a durable engine design. Get what you like best...in my opinion, the 06 is the best f the bunch....the newer electronics with the BMW drivetrain. The new 2010 engines with the extra 100 ponies negates them both...thats a nicer powerplant.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just completed researching the past 6 months before my purchase (2006 HSE). I too was looking at a 2004-2005 as this is our weekend car.

Bottom line is that the service manager at the Land Rover dealership said "do whatever you have to do to step up to a 2006 or newer".

·
Registered
405 Posts
There are lots of BMWs that have had problems with that motor and once again the 06 has the old dash and center console with the painted grey plastic that
peals off. If you look at the used prices, you will see there is a big step up in price from an 06 to an 07 because of the changes.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The BMW motor problems that I was referring to above I think were fixed before 06. I did have an x5 4.8 and had no problems

·
Registered
952 Posts
newportrover said:
Here is the deal....The BMW engine has MORE torque and gets to its full HP LOWER and faster in the RPM range....so around town its FASTER than a 07+.
The new engine started in 2006 not 07. Both engines are rated as having the same torque although the BMW engine reaches max torques SLIGHTLY earlier, 400 RMP. The 06+ has 43 more HP. That's a big difference. I've had both. The Jag feels faster and it is faster.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting reading. It's funny, because I actually chose an 04 because of the BMW powerplant. I knew from experience that, with care, this engine would last a long, long time. A relatively unproven Ford engine could go either way, and in any case wouldn't likely have the character. I'm glad for the guys driving the newer RRs that the Ford motor has turned out to be a winner so far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys,
I`m new here but have driven Range Rovers for the past 23 years. You are talking about the 4,4 right?
Have anyone here some experience of the 4,2 supercharged wich came in 2005 wich also is a Ford/Jaguar powerplant.
Are they as good as the 4,4 Jag. engine?

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
Presently looking to add a fresh face to the fleet. This post is asking the question I have but went cold several years ago. The 07+ Ford/Jag derivatives are approaching 100K miles now. Any advice or experience with the Ford versus the BMW years now that they've been on the road for a while?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
425 Posts
I have an '08 SC I bought last summer with 85,000 miles on it. To my knowledge (I was able to look at the dealer's service records), there have been NO issues with the engine since birth.

I've owned one or more BMWs continuously since 1977, including a '98 740 iL w/ over 200,000 miles on it. The motor itself is fantastic. BMW either poorly engineered, or cut corners, on most parts hung on that engine (basically the same as in BMW-powered FFRRs). I've lost count of how many coolant tanks, radiators, etc. I've put on the 740 over the years, and had the same issues with a '95 540, which had the predecessor motor to the one in the 740.

I find it rather ironic that RR's (deservedly) poor reliability reputation was further tarnished by what most regard as a first-class auto builder -- BMW -- during its tenure of RR ownership.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
Thanks Jerry

That brings up another question I have. The supercharged versus naturally aspirated engine? It does appear there are a great number of 07+ SC Ford vehicles for sale in the same price range as the similar M/Y naturally aspirated vehicles. Given the higher end packages that appear to go with the SC model this seems to tell me there may be some "expenses" involved with the supercharger as the mileage/age increases? Any additional advice or opinions?

Sandy

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
425 Posts
I don't have enough history to be able to answer your question.

So far, other than normal maintenance, I've had no expenses with the vehicle, though I tried to use the A/C a couple of days ago and nada -- so it needs at least a recharge. I'm also having all the fluids (diffs, tranny, etc.) replace in a few weeks, at 85K rather than 150K.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts