RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the Range has been idling high, around 750-900 RPM. For example you really have to be on the brakes at a light or stop sign or its gonna be going. Flipping it into neutral you can FEEL the load coming off of the car. Any ideas on what it is? Cold engine sensor? Its not showing and CEL's or anything.

HELP GUYS!!

D

·
0 Posts
Hi,
I actually have the same thing going on, but only when the Rover is cold. We are trying to figure out what it is also.

·
Registered
65 Posts
To a smaller extent; have seen this as well. Usually after the vehicle has been parked & a little chilly. The idle went more up to 400 at a stop sign but yeah it really wants to go. Asked a tech about this & he said it was or could be various factors including what type of gas was used (brand). Checked, no error codes. Happens only once in a while. What I've done is let the vehicle warm up so it is at least in the 'warm' range & then turn it off for ~2 mins. Then, turn it back on & that fixes the issue...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had the same thing and as in the above post, turning it off after a run and restarting it solved it straight away. Haven't had it since.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sorry guys i just want to ask does this defo work im having the same problem after leaving it lying up 1 week ..

but i had also taken the air filter out to have a look at it today .. but i only noticed that it was idling at 900rpm when i went to drive it for the first time today.. so im not sure if i did something on taking the filter out for a look .. however ive serviced many cars and know its back together properly :)

im going to go out now for a drive and ill come back and post how i got on with the above fix ( drive till warm and switch of for 2 mins and resume) fingers crossed

·
Registered
159 Posts
Don't worry it's perfectly normal.

When the battery registers a low voltage on the computer it raises the idle to charge the battery it'll normally stop doing this after a decent run.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Monty said:
Don't worry it's perfectly normal.

When the battery registers a low voltage on the computer it raises the idle to charge the battery it'll normally stop doing this after a decent run.
+1 on above, info from WSM:

Engine Idle Speed Control

The ATC ECU signals the ECM to increase engine idle speed settings if a high current application is switched on or
if low battery voltage is detected. The signal consists of a message transmitted via the K bus, instrument pack and
CAN bus, and increases idle speed between 100 and 200 rev/min. The ATC ECU requests the engine idle speed
increase when the following high current applications are switched on:

- Rear window heater
- Blower, at speed 6 or 7
- Headlamp main beam

The engine idle speed increase is also requested if battery voltage decreases to less than 11.4 V. The speed increase
request is discontinued when battery voltage increases to more than 12.2 V again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts