RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in big trouble (https://vimeo.com/275326433/0fbf85db7b). My lights were very clear on my Range Rover but I thought I would touch them up given a little aging just to make them look even better. Now they look fully coated with fog! I tried sanding them with wet 200 and 400 sand paper after cleaning them with rubbing alcohol. Since then, I haven't been able to get the fog look off. It looks like the exact opposite of the before and after as now they are super foggy. I tried using rubbing compound, dawn, rubbing alcohol, pressure washing, toothpaste, tuff stuff and nothing has worked. I think the sanding ruined them. They look horrible now and I have no idea what to do. What are my options besides buying new? https://vimeo.com/275326433/0fbf85db7b

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Supercharged
159 Posts
You have finished with too coarse of a sandpaper. The 400 wet sanding would have been a starting point for heavily yellowed/aged headlights. You need to work your way up to 1000-1500 wet sanding before hitting it with polish.
Luckily they are most likely not ruined. To make it easy on yourself and to take the guesswork out, go purchase a 3M headlight restoration kit. It will contain everything you need (minus a cordless or corded drill). Go through all the steps contained within the kit and your headlights will look superb when done.
The steps are basically 2-3 stages of wet sanding using sanding discs attached to the foam backed drill attachment. Then you finish with one or two stages of polishing compound using the foam polish applicator attached to your drill. Believe me, the headlights always look horrible after the wet sanding, even the fine grit sanding. It’s the polish stage that brings the clarity back. You stopped at 400grit sanding so no polish is going to bring me back, more finish sanding must be done first.
Buy this kit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FQMY3Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_zKsjBb4YKXQ3X

It will be cheaper than buying polish, and more sand paper seperatly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As Billconn pointed out, they are not ruined (except that whatever coating may have been on the plastic is now forever gone). You will need to wet sand them progressively. since you ended with 400, I would then go 600, 800, 1000, etc, until you get up to at least 1500 or more. then start polishing. you can do all the sanding by hand with a bucket of water and the correct sandpaper. it is the polishing, in my opinion that requires machinery. There are various polishes for this purpose on the market, and you can buy a kit. I have personally, found the kits to be a little mickey-mouse, but maybe thats just me.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Most kits start at 600 grit and end at 2000 grit. We always had a couple of kits on the shelf at the dealership for really bad headlight on trade ins.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,957 Posts
Since your on the way to refinishing,
I would suggest to get ,
this can of coating,
a DA sander and some 400 and 600 grit paper,
some blue tape and masking paper or news paper,
some alcohol and some clean wipes.
A UV lamp for curing the coating,
Note the sun will also cure it but it can take a longer time,
high humidity extends the cure time and can make the coating foggy if its put on too thick.

Follow these directions explicitly.

Mask off the area,
cover / tape to the hood a blanket and then open the hood so over spray wont damage it.

Wipe the lens with alcohol a few times with a paper towel or microfiber towel.this will remove any wax that has been used on the lights.

Sand the lens with the 400 evenly so the surface is a matte finish and all of the old coating has been removed.

Then finish with the 600 grit, this sanding process can take about 20 mins a lens.
NOTE the finish of the lens will be a frosted finish and you wont be able to see inside of the lens.

First wipe the lens with an alcohol soaked rag,
Then blow the dust off with compressed air,
try not to breath the dust.

Wipe the lens again with alcohol and then blow it dry,
let it sit for 10 mins.

Wipe the lens off again with a micro fiber towel. to remove any dust.

Shake the can well and then put first a lite even coat on then a follow up coat thats bit heavier.
NOTE hold the can about 10 inches from the surface,
test spray the can so you know how it will spray ,
you will have enough spray to do about 3 headlamps.
Thats it,....
if its not perfect leave it alone.

Adding further coats can cause runs and lens distortion and fogging of the coating, these will permanent

Ideally you would cure this coating with a UV lamp but parking the truck in direct sunlight for 3 to 10 hours will cure it.
NOTE remove the paper first so the wind wont blow it into the fresh coating.

NOTE this is the best refinishing system I have used ,
the stuff you get at the auto parts stores is more of a temporary deal.

NOTE make sure to read the reviews they back up what I have written

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ryder/af/ryder/core/content/product/srm/oid/173754/erm/productDetail.do?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=product&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6pLZBRCxARIsALaaY9b67uW9UfMA-lyZV4_enL2tKxTtY2-iVs5Px2rIlpNwbNcHJ_69780aAmUmEALw_wcB

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
82 Posts
dont stress - super easy fix. you just need to wet sand with finer sandpaper. after you do that, they will still look foggy. thats when you take a compound/polish and just go to town on the headlights. it might take a good 30 or so minutes but they should turn out crystal clear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts