Range Rovers Forum banner

Bluetooth / Phone issue -- Fix

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Gazellio 
#1 ·
The bluetooth option in our 2005 Range Rover was incapable of working correctly. It was a bizarre thing. The Range Rover would ‘pair’ with our iPhones (or any other phone). When paired & someone calls, the # of the person will come onto the stereo system/nav screen & it would ring via the speakers. However, when you would answer the phone (be it by the phone, by the steering wheel or by the radio) there is no sound that will come through the speakers. The call is not disconnected but there is absolutely no sound whatsoever. Only if you choose a different source on the phone will you be able to use the phone but you would have to 'use the phone'; the bluetooth would not work past that point. And of course LRNA says the phones will work fine. But that was not the case.

Weeks ago, the truck spent hours at the dealer - they were trying to solve the issue as they had 'never heard about this particular issue'. I made another appointment (for something else) & they would continue to diagnose the problem then. Well, I scoured through this forum & various others until I found information... someone suggested replacing the PTI (personal telephone interface). So, I said that to the dealer. The service fella was like "no, no way because X, Y & Z work". Guess what? I brought it back in, they looked & could not figure it out. I asked again if they tried replacing the PTI, they said no & then told me that piece was ~$1,000... I then called the LR CPO phone # & they assured me that it would be covered. So, they installed it and - guess what - it solved the issue.

I'm fairly certain it's not just me that had the bluetooth issue. So, if you do... suppose there is a chance the fix would be the PTI module. Hope this helps someone.

See less See more
#2 ·
It is a well known issue. Various fixes have been proposed, and everybody's dealer lies to them about it.
I think they are waiting until all of the 2005's are out of warranty to tell them about a fix.

#4 ·
zippy said:
My dealer replaced the PTI under my extended warranty because it would not take the software upgrade to make my phonebook transfer from my iPhone.
Works like a champ now!
Did I hear you say "Software Update" that allows your phone book to be downloaded? My 2006 Model works great on Bluetooth but the phone book does not download?

#6 ·
Yes!
After the PTI replacement the software update worked! my iPhone address book shows up in the unit.
The address book would not upload prior to the replacement and upgrade.

Reactions: PilotTerry
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.