RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a long time since I've been on the site. And I am sorry for that.

I just blew a hose. The one that goes from the reservoir to the top of the radiator. Is this an easy fix, or is there more involved? Looks easy. Just wondering if it happened because of a different problem. When it went, the "book" sign came on where the A/C screen is.
[attachment=0:1jgai4go]Blown Hose.JPG[/attachment:1jgai4go]

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right in the corner facing the battery.[attachment=0:bl4v2df7]Blown Hose 2.JPG[/attachment:bl4v2df7]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I see. What caused it? Was the battery damaging it or was it rubbing against something?

It is an easy replacement. Ideally, get the part from the dealer or other source of quality parts. Also get the 2 short rubber hoses on each end and make sure that you have the correct clips to hold the pipes in place. I can't remember the type used but it could just be a spring clip or even a 'Clic' or 'Clic-R' so you may need a tool to use them.

Don't use the screw type clips as it could damage the other plastic pipework, and also be careful with the plastic pipe connected to the radiator. It can crack or break off completely.

Just keep an eye on the coolant level after you complete the work. It may need a top up afterwards.

EDIT:
Just noticed the picture shows the 'modified' pipes on both ends of the long (failed) plastic pipe. My 94/95MY has the original spring clips still on it. I don't have MicroCat or my catalogue in front of me as I'm home but this may be one part number (long plastic hose + 2 x rubber end hoses) which makes it easier again to replace.

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. It doesn't look like it was rubbing against anything. All I know is that when I opened the hood, there was steam shooting out and fogging out everything on the left side. I almost thought that there was steam coming from under the reservoir. I'll have a closer look.

BTW. Is this the hose that needs to be replaced?
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PCH117140G.cfm

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Mack. This appears to be a common problem. I was lucky and snapped mine while I was changing the battery. [I barely touched it and it snapped] I purchased a length of fuel line and used that. Dealer part is not expensive though. Kmagnuss had his fail for no apparent reason, The plastic gets brittle and can just snap. I finally took the precaution to replace the throttle body heater hose since it is mostly the same plastic. However that hose was not brittle so unless it had been done before I got it there was no issue. I am of the firm opinion that everyone should change the bleeder hose to avoid a similar failure and possible overheat.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
BigMack said:
Thank you. It doesn't look like it was rubbing against anything. All I know is that when I opened the hood, there was steam shooting out and fogging out everything on the left side. I almost thought that there was steam coming from under the reservoir. I'll have a closer look.

BTW. Is this the hose that needs to be replaced?
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PCH117140G.cfm
That looks like the part. you can see there are 2 small rubber hoses connected to the end of the plastic pipe. That will make it much easier to fit.

Each to their own, but I prefer to keep it genuine by using the original part rather than a modification.

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you both. I'll order the part and have a go at it.

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the Part Number for the above mentioned hose the stock number or A/B's number?

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
The latest number I have for the part is PCH000280 and the UK price is £7.68 + 15% tax (VAT).

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts
Be extremely careful when removing the old hose from the spigot on the radiator. Break that and it means a new radiator.

Rotate the hose on the spigot to break the seal before trying to pull it off.

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses Guys. And for the advice on the spigot.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
What a great price on the hose. Its more than $30 cdn. I paid almost 45 cdn for the throttle body heater hose. It also has the flexible hoses at each end. If one does use fuel hose make sure it doesn't rub on anything because I noticed mine was starting to wear in a couple of places. Perhaps the original one also vibrates making it ultimately fail. BTW the dealer parts guy had to talk to one of the techies to figure out the p/n for throttle body heater hose, so be patient if ordering that hose.

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you to everyone who helped.
I changed out the hose today. Was so easy it's not funny. The guy at the local LR dealer was a lot of help.
Dealer was going to charge me $140.00 to change out the hose and replace the coolant.
I did it all for $45.00. The hose was only $21.00 at the dealer.
2 gallons of Zerex DexCool OAT coolant: $20.00
Gallon of Distilled water: $1.00
Tax!
The only hassle was needing my wife to hold the revs at 3K while I slowly added the coolant through the expansion tank(as per LR's instructions).
You know the radiator is at capacity when the expansion tank starts to bubble and overflow. Let the engine completely cool, and then top off the expansion tank. You're done!
The cool part is that the air gets pushed out of the system when the tank overflows!
Thanks to the guy behind the counter at LR San Diego.
And once again. Thanks to all of you.
All in all it was a good experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts