Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best way to diagnose head gaskit issues? also once diagnosed how do I find out which one? I am pretty sure one of them is blown, bubbles in radiator tank and steam blowing out of exhaust.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
covered in dozens of posts. if you are loosing coolant and have steam out your pipe, you are loosing coolant into combustion. pull your plugs and see which ones are nice and steam cleaned.

if you have a head gasket leak you may as well do both for a fraction more in funds.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
523 Posts
You can buy a "sniffer" kit from NAPA, that you can use to "sniff" the coolant tank to detect exhaust in the tank. You can also just smell it. The heads are very easy to replace, and as stated above, do both, not just one. Having had my heads off many times for various reasons, I would also use ARP Head Studs as opposed to the Factory Torque to Yield Bolts, so you do not have to angle torque. Pain in the @ss to do with engine in truck. You can also reuse the ARP, you can't with the stretch bolts. The ARP Head Studs have a recessed allen key in the end of the stud, so you can lay the heads down, then screw the studs in with an allen key, then install the nuts and use your torque wrench to torque to spec. Call D&D Fabrications for these. Great group of guys. Good Luck....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts