RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello--I have a blown head gasket in my '89 Range Rover Classic. Is this common to this vehicle? Thanks in advance

Tom Lovinggood

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
88 Posts
I’m pretty new to these vehicles, but from what research I have done, yes it is very common. I just finished replacing mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
It ended up being a very big job because I decided to replace several other things while it was apart (complete valve job, heads resurfaced, new rings and con rod bearings, new timing chain and gear, water pump, bunch of misc. bits).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Greddm--How big a job was it for you?
Somebody's who experienced get it done in 7-10 hours, double that if you're DIYing the first time around which I assume you're not. Don't pay the dealer for repairs, any shop that knows their way around an American V8 will gladly do it for much cheaper.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes common issue. The problem you will have is that you are not going to change just the one head gasket. Then while you are there it is logical to change a bunch more, where do you stop.

- Logically you do both heads.
- I say for certain don't pull the pistons unless you have to. Bearing shells is an option (cheap, but messy with the engine in the car)
- You could leave the heads alone and refit, although skimming would be wise (warping), you can check for warping with some basic tools
- Check the camshaft while you are there. Lots of horror stories but many live a long and happy life.
- Don't pull the followers and mix them up. They match with the cam - if it ain't broken.. Pull them one by one to inspect
- You could upgrade your head bolts to studs with nuts. This allows for better seating of the head and less risk pulling a thread.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
In our garage it tends to be a 2 day job, off in 4 hours, clean everything nicely, inspect tappets and camshaft..
Then run to other town to have heads skimmed ,pick up next morning and back on

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Annette--what is your charge for blown head gasket repair? Thanks in advance
Annette is in Costa Rica, some 25 to 2800 miles south of us border, even if he did it free of charge, shipping and customs charges
would possible be much costlier than a full engine replacement in the us.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It ended up being a very big job because I decided to replace several other things while it was apart (complete valve job, heads resurfaced, new rings and con rod bearings, new timing chain and gear, water pump, bunch of misc. bits).

How much does it cost to get all that done? I need to replace the gasket myself but curious to see how much it would cost me to do a mini-overhaul.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Annette is in Costa Rica, some 25 to 2800 miles south of us border, even if he did it free of charge, shipping and customs charges
would possible be much costlier than a full engine replacement in the us.
We charge Normal 500 USD including the skimming. All nicely cleaned up.

If somebody feels like dropping in on a trip to Panamá or such like it includes a beer

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
It was around $1600. $500 of that was for the valve job. I had a shop do because there were some stripped threads and one of the valve guides needed replacing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts