RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving from PA to DE last night and in the left lane of I95 near Upper Chichester, I hit a bad pothole (front left). It ripped apart the sidewall badly but at first glance doesn’t appear to have damaged the wheel. I’ll know for sure when I go to the dealer for tire replacement on Monday since I’m under wheel/tire protection. I just wanted to share pictures of the blown tire which looks like it was done by more than just a pothole.

Also, for some reason my rear right tires keep setting off the TPMS prior to this incident. Every couple of days after filling it with air, it’ll revert to being below specs. I initially attributed it to temperature changes but it shouldn’t be doing it almost every 3 days requiring me to fill with air. I’ll mention this to the dealer on Monday as well.

Interestingly, if you have a spare donut tire installed (obviously that tire is not monitored by TPMS), the system will no longer provide psi measurements per tire for the other three if you try to pull up pressure measurements. It’ll read as - - .

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Having lived in Jersey City and commuting to work in Mt. Vernon, I can remember/relate to the potholes (don’t miss that). Most important is that other than the headache of having to replace the tire, no one got hurt and it didn’t cause an accident.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Was the pothole very sharp as it looks like it hit hard to slice it like that. Glad no one got hurt and all is good well except for the tire.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to update - I took the vehicle in to the dealer today and they replaced the blown tire and also the rear right tire under road hazard coverage. Turns out there was a screw in the shoulder of the rear right tire which caused a slow leak. So two new tires, no cracked rims, and $800 + labor saved!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was the pothole very sharp as it looks like it hit hard to slice it like that. Glad no one got hurt and all is good well except for the tire.
It was hard to see what the pothole looked like from the dashcam footage as it was night, rainy, and fog conditions. But the vehicle in front of me that my friend was driving hit the same pothole and his Lexus was ok, passengers just a little shook up from the impact. So yes it was pretty bad. But the good thing was that no one was hurt in either vehicle. Was an eventful night for sure.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,188 Posts
Wow glad to hear you guys are okay. My sister hit a pothole recently that tore the run-flats on her 535i in a similar manner.

Also when you need new brake pads change to ceramics--it will result in a fraction of the brake dust! :mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts