RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, got yet another problem and not even solved the transfer box problem fully yet.

Sitting at idle engine runs happily and feels at decent temprature no spout water or dribbles. Cant tell the temp as gauge not working and been focusing on gearbox issue instead.

Drive the car round the block engine get too hot and spouts water out expansion tank.

Read a few posts and checked a few bits.

1/ Thermostat OK
2/ no leaks fro water pump or anywhere.
3/ hoses dont get any harder than you imagine thye should

Im starting to feel head gasket, but no smoke or oil loss, no sign of oil in water or vice versa.

You guys know more about these than me, whats your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
568 Posts
There are many threads with all possible scenarios for overheating, however the first thing I would do is address the temperature guage issue as you do not want to be guessing temperatures in these engines....don't drive it withought knowing. I purchased an infrared temperature gun (quite cheap) an asset in the tool box. You can then check if it gets hot, how long it takes to get hot, when it gets hot, also where in the engine bay it gets hot...eg top radiator or bottom etc..etc..

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Head gasket and head issues, however kept running hot I suppose like any motor , major engine component damage with overheated oil rendered useless.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like head gasket to me however there is a possibility you have air in the system which would do the same, is your heater blowing hot?

Also change the expansion cap and make sure the radiator overflow pipe to the expansion tank is clear

I'm no expert on these engines but went through all of this late last year. Mines a 2001 Thor 4.0, following a blown top hose I replaced the water pump and thermostat and got it so I could idle the car all day but as soon as i drove it or revved it up id get the expansion tank volcano. The oil showed no sign of water in it but I did detect the nearside exhaust gas felt more moist than the off side and it turned out there was two leaks in the head gasket on this side.

I had both head gaskets done, heads skimmed and pressure tested and it was £1400 at an independent LR place. Its seems to be fairly common on these and lots of guys on here report doing the work themselves.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
what damage could be done to one of these engines if run to hot for to long?
Chris
The cylinder heads on these motors have a bit of a reputation for cracking if overheated. If cracked, no fix for head, it has to be replaced. A bit of a hunt around the forums has the general opinion that the heads are almost seen as a service item once miles go much above 100k.
If you've no temp gauge you've no idea how long its been overheating. I seem to remember that this is a new car to you. Did the temp gauge work when you got it? If not, there may have been a bit of tampering by the PO to hide the fact that it's knackered.
If you can't get the temp gauge working, get an infra red gun as already suggested and, if you have an Android phone, consider getting an ELM based Bluetooth OBD plugin and something like OBD Fusion or Torque Pro app, both of which allow you to monitor real time cooling system temperature.
Actually, I'll caution myself on that- the ELM and Android apps work on my V8, but I'm no oil burner expert so can't say positively that they'll work on a DSE. You'll have to do your own research on that...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just did a top end and gasket refresh on my 2000 4.6 thor. Head gasket failed between the #2 cylinder and the water jacket. Pulled the heads and sent them to the shop. Skimmed and pressure checked good. Replaced my rear main seal and all other gaskets and o-rings while I had it down. Rear main seal had been leaking for a while and figured it was a good time to do it. Word of advice. Take a look at the oil pump in the timing cover. Mine was cracked on the outer ring and would have come apart after all this work. By the way, I had the same symptoms as you. Do a compression check to verify. Air in the coolant system can give you the same symptom

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for info.

Bought a banger to kick about in for txt few weeks and hopefully going to tackle the head gasket at the weekend.

Just got to go order up some parts.

Fingers crossed.

Or does anyone went o buy a DSE with a possible fails head gasket??

Im in Edinburgh Scotland

1 - 8 of 8 Posts