Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is enjoying the use of my 2000 Holland and Holland and is about fifty miles away from where I live. I was told last night that the vehicle has twice blown the #8 30 amp fuse, causing the center dash instruments to go dark. He'll put a third fuse in, watching to see if it's the radio or the HVAC that might be part of the fuse sequence. When it blows, the AC blower switches to high speed for 10-25 seconds, really blowing cold air, then everything goes blank.

I am suspecting (and fearing) that the HVAC control module with display may be at fault. This is the second unit and was replaced about six year ago with a real LR part. The book symbol is showing, and I was suspecting the usual blend motor problems, but have done nothing about it because things were going smoothly with both heat and AC. Could a stuck or misguided blend motor be blowing the fuses?

This car is a relatively low-mileage garage queen with only 65,000 miles. Recently, a real LR mechanic replaced the head gaskets after a brief overheating (less than two minutes, probably caused by a slow loss of coolant due to the failure of the throttle body intake gasket). I have also replaced the heater O rings myself in the past year and the right carpeting never really got that damp. All was going well, with the exception of whatever was causing the Book symbol to appear, until these fuses started blowing in the number 8 position.

Any ideas of where to start before I place another call to my trusted LR mechanic? I am reluctant to buy another HVAC module at the current price, unless that's the only likely solution. Of course, tearing out the blend motors is also not something I'd easily want to do.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
If you have the book symbol wouldn't it make sense to check the actual codes for guidance? In addition I think the cigar lighter is also on that fuse. Several people have been bit by this issue when a coin or other item has dropped into the lighter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have the book symbol wouldn't it make sense to check the actual codes for guidance? In addition I think the cigar lighter is also on that fuse. Several people have been bit by this issue when a coin or other item has dropped into the lighter.

Just spotted this comment about coins in the cigarette lighter socket.
Since I had as FS8 fuse blowing problem I checked this out and found a 20p coin in there, it was the same colour as the socket metal too so had to look twice.

Had just bought a replacement HEVAC too from ebay for £50 !, oh well got a spare one now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.