Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
It started with AC not blowing enough air and not cold enough.
Obseved that freezing at the expansion valve and also the RH blower not working.

Removed the RH blower motor and tested direct , it runs well. Checked the power supply on the 4 pin connector which is good. Also, checked the R6 & 7relays, footwell connector etc all seems ok. Thinking that it could be the fan controller, changed it with a new controller ( bought it last year when someone here mentioned that Peugeot/Renault ones are same & CHEAP). Removed the HEVAC unit and reinserted all connectors after applying a dose of contact cleaner. Yet, the blower does not run.

Can someone tell me how to check the control signal from the HEVAC to blower controller? conector C240 pins 1 & 2 and also C239 single wire. All 3 wires checked okay for connectivity between blower and C245 at HEVAC.

Your pointers apprceated.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, checked tightness of the connector C239.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuse box replaced about 4 years back. However, RL6 & RL7 are tested okay. Also removed the connectors under the fuse box no corrosion or burning marks. Besides, the 4pin connector- C240 has power on pin 4.

I think its the ECU signal matter and don't know how to check it. Can I put 12v direct on PWM lines?

·
Administrator
4,021 Posts
Do you have a spare blower or can you take the other one out and swap them over? That will at least confirm if it is the blower or HEVAC.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No dear, I don't have a spare blower but the blower operates when powered directly. So must be the HEVAC unit or the new controller. Wiring continuity too I have checked.
Any idea in checking the controller? may be the old one is also good. I jsut changed it because I have the new one.

·
Administrator
4,021 Posts
Unplug the working one and plug the suspect one in its place. If it works, it's the HEVAC, if it doesn't its the blower or controller.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both controllers dont work. HEVAC unit?

·
Administrator
4,021 Posts
Have you put the suspect one in the working side or just tried them both on the non-working side?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
everything with the non working side. ie driver's side. Otherside need removal of glove box which I don't want to touch , unless extremely necessary.
I'm going to disassemble the motor and check the brushes, since it's out now.

·
Administrator
4,021 Posts
If you can't be bothered to do any proper comparisons I'm wondering why I bother. You have a working blower and a non working blower, if you want to work out what is the problem, swap them over.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fully agree with you.
One thing I have observed in this car, the plastic pieces are made of potato chips. You try removing, it cracks. For example, my instrument cluster cannot be fitted as the screw points cracked on the dash. Technically, I have to replace the whole dash board. That's why unless extremely necessary I won't touch trim pieces.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, got it sorted.:):whistle::whistle:
Culprit was the thicK black earth wire connector. It had corroded inside and worked when directly connected but not in the controller. Further found that the new controller is faulty, from the factory.
The brushes were worn & about 5mm remaining, though I refitted after cleaning. Must buy a new set.
Now to look at the AC.:oops:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts