RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havne noticed any overheating but I was checking to see if my radiator is clogged up due to "Trans Failsafe Prog".
From what I've gathered there should be a good stream of coolant coming out of the drain plug. Well there was very little coming out. It probably wouldve taken a whole minute for a 8oz cup. Just so I know I'm doing this right, should the drain plug come completely out when opened or stay in? Because it didnt seem like it comes out all the way.
Radiator was changed 6 months ago but there is green coolant in there. I'm thinking that's what caused the blockage.
So do I flush the cooling system or replace the radiator?

·
Registered
127 Posts
if i was you i would take off the top and bottom radiator hose and stick a hosepipe in the top of the radiator and see if water flows out of the bottom or not

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,358 Posts
The transmission fluid cooler takes its coolant feed from the bottom eight rows of the main radiator and these are below the level of the bottom hose i.e. the bottom hose is not at the bottom of the radiator – see photo below (bottom hose connection is on the right-hand side). It’s therefore tricky to thoroughly flush this area of the radiator and instead Land Rover state that the radiator must be replaced.

I replaced mine with a genuine Behr unit at a cost of £162 plus £25 for the ‘official’ Land Rover antifreeze (equivalent to a total of 300 US Dollars).

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'll try the housepipe thing since it wont cost anything(just some BMW coolant). Someone said there is a way to clean the blockage but he didnt say how. I'll just flush and run water through a few times to see what happens.
I can get a new OEM radiator shipped for a little less than $300 and someone made a nice DIY video for it.
God I hope this is what the problem is. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
96 Posts
HI any update in this thread have a blocked radiator I'm thinking due to weird gear changes whilst towing,

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
What you should be really concerned with is the transmission cooler (along with the rad that feeds it) If the rad is getting on in years and the tranny cooler has not been changed there is a chance that it is plugged. Ours was totally plugged when I finally checked it even though the rad had been replaced. That is on the water side. The oil side was fine and when I cut open the old cooler it really showed. We had put in the slightly lower temp stat which likely prolonged the trannys life but did not save it. Consider buying/borrowing a laser thermometer to check coolant temp in and out of the tranny cooler and also the in out oil temp. Awkward to do but it may provide a clue (comfort). Also the tranny cooler has its own stat so the use of the laser tool will help you determine whether it functions or not. We were advised on here to consider a new trans cooler to rad manifold which I purchased for about 40. Did not need it nor the trans stat. Also get the special high temp silicone grease to protect all 0-rings that you come in contact with from failure. (O-rings in the coolant connecting pipes)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks a million for the transmission cooler any ideas the best place found a hella one for 150$ then I looked on rock auto for the radiator a NISSENS 64314 Click for more information about this part
{#PCC000850} Core Dimensions: 605-630-40; Specification: for BMW engines
Front
Part Image
$165.89

Anyone know anyone in south Florida or how many hours labor to replace the radiator and the transmission cooler thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just resolved this problem on my truck. I decided to change the radiator, Trans cooler, trans cooler thermostat and upper and lower hoses. Job wasn't too bad with the right tools. The only difficulty I encountered was the quick disconnects on cooler lines. Even with the special BMW tool the quick disconnect on one of the cooler lines broke so I had to get another tool to disengage the 4 internal release tabs.

I used all BEHR / Hella replacement parts from FCP Euro...They price match as well and shipped quick:-D

As the OP stated - when I drained my radiator it was a drizzle also.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi all have a similar issue with my l322 driving around without my 18 ft travel trailer no problem now in traffic with travel trailer no trains axle error but the car won't shift gears which I've read is caused due to inadequate coolant flow to the gearbox.

My question would you change the radiator has 110k on it and original ?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
The information is both in this thread, and in this forum, on how to test it all.
Follow that, or start throwing parts at it, your call.

Martin

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks read through again will switch the radiator had the gearbox oil flushed in a gearbox place some time back will see if the radiator resolves this if not will grab a new oil cooler next

1 - 11 of 11 Posts