RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hia, 1999 4.6 leaked and showed oil drops on bottom of front axle differential, bottom of reduction differential auto gearbox and bottom of engine...from one day to the other shortly after complete big service at dealer...
is it possible it was overfilled with gearbox oil and differential oil ?
is it possible it had blocked crankcase breather due to engine oil overfill ?
now after 2000 km leaking the car is dry...
the car is 1999 4.6 without gearbox check stick.

i refer myself to the statement in http://rangerovers.net/newrremedies.htm#leaks

Blocked Crankcase Breather: If you find your Range Rover has a major problem with oil leaking out of everywhere it could be that your engine is pressurising due to being unable to breathe. To remedy this problem remove and clean the breather located on the tappet cover.
any ideas or experience ?

anyone knowing where is the breather on the tappet cover ?

Best regards
Sebastian

·
Registered
453 Posts
yes, ontop of the rocker cover is the breather (short length of tube)
Within that tube is the oil seperator which should be cleaned to ensure the engine can breath.

The oil seperator is abound £2 and is at the bottom of the hose where it connects to the rocker cover.
It can be removed with pliers and cleaned before replacing.

If it's stuck and won't budge you may need to remove the rocker cover and get at it from the underside.

Clean inside the hose before replacing.

·
Registered
640 Posts
keithdixon said:
yes, ontop of the rocker cover is the breather (short length of tube)
Within that tube is the oil seperator which should be cleaned to ensure the engine can breath
A 1999 year car would have the Thor Engine, looking at Microcat it only lists that Stupid Plastic Seperator up to Vin. WA which would be a Gems. "99" would be XA and it's not shown as fitted to the Thor Engine, just wondered if Microcat is wrong or the later Engines don't have it.

I'm sure someone with the Thor engine can answer that.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts