Range Rovers Forum banner

Blinding Headlamps

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Stevemfr 
#1 ·
Motorists coming towards me are always flashing me, I presume my headlamps are blinding them. I had them checked by local MOT station and within spec for MOT.

Does anyone else have this problem, I'm guessing its just large and powerfull headlamps?

Phil

#3 ·
If they are adaptive, I'd strongly suggest checking the alignment against a wall, then removing the multiplug at the adaptive ECU so the system is disabled. I've spent Friday, Saturday morning and this morning fighting a 2003MY Td6 which has a mind of it's own when it comes to lighting. If you can get a T4 plug-in, see if the external lighting has any stored fault codes.

#6 ·
I have a similar prob - albeit somewhat self induced.

I originally ebayed a pair of 06 xenons at a very good price with the thought of hanging them in my P38 - for the improved lighting more than the bling as our P38 is the travel car (really! I do like the look, tho). I decided not to do the conversion because it requires removing a larger amount of metal from the rad support. Shortly after I found a LM with front end damage (one headlight, grill and bumper) and, as we'd been looking anyway and the price was very good, we purchased. I updated the RR with the lights and all works fine - except the xenons are non-adaptive. They are at the limit of the manual adjusters but I still get people flashing me. I'd love to get the height portion working - don't need the curve light. I need to find out if the inputs for the adaptive-ECU are direct or via bus (in which case I prob don't have much of a hope).

Anyway, to make a long story short - anyone who has or had access to GTA have a headlight wiring diagram for 06-09? Or anyone done anything similar?

#9 ·
Stevemfr said:
Rich998a said:
The same wiring diagram in the GTR is also in RAVE for the L322.
Wiring for the 2006 is the same as wiring for 02-05?
Yes I see the question now - next time I'm on there I will take a look. Obviously it will be different.

Regarding the OP, just adjust the lighting manually using the plastic hex nuts on the top of the units. If you have adaptive, set the lights manually, disconnect the adaptive lighting ECU, throw it as far as physics allow, then set the vehicle config to non adaptive. Job done, no future issue with the **** system. :evil:

#10 ·
I get flashed by oncoming motorists once in a while. In my Seattle area, xenons don't seem that common anymore, and I think it's more of an issue of people thinking that because they look different, they must be high beams. I'll flash 'em back if I'm quick enough, so they'll know what high beams REALLY look like. BTW, my low beam xenons are aimed properly.

#12 ·
Rich998a said:
Stevemfr said:
Regarding the OP, just adjust the lighting manually using the plastic hex nuts on the top of the units. If you have adaptive, set the lights manually, disconnect the adaptive lighting ECU, throw it as far as physics allow, then set the vehicle config to non adaptive. Job done, no future issue with the **** system. :evil:
I've got the lights adjusted properly manually. I'm probably just getting the usual flashes from people unused to xenons coming at them - just like the rest here in the thread.I was told that, in addition to the halogens, the adaptive headlights raise the xenons for high beams and lower them for low beams as well as adjusting the height according to what the F+R sensors say (w/o access to GTR I can't verify this, tho). I was wondering if lowering the headlights slightly on low beam would poss alleviate some of the stress these poor other motorists suffer :wink: .

Actually, tho, I'd also like to get the most out of the lights since I have 'em - especially off-road. Really, the adaptive bit does not interest me terribly, the high and low beam raising/lowering does. On the pre 06 xenons, the headlight leveling ecu has all analog inputs. I was hoping this system had been kept for the 06-09's.

I'd love to see the light description pages and circuit diagrams. I think I may have to bite the bullet and subscribe... :doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.