RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo, i'm new to the site, so if there is a thread on this already, please redirect me...

I've just replaced the second diff that has broken on my '90 RRC. The first was the front, where a chunk came out of one of the gears. The latest was the rear, where the pin holding the diff gears broke.

At any rate, i found a donor RRC and replaced the diffs, but figure it will happen again--i wasn't even off road! I was reading that the '2 pin' diffs are weaker than the '4 pin' diffs. I'm sticking with 10 spline for now, and wondering where to find a 4 pin diff. I've got one of the old diff cases and was also considering a rebuild of it with a locking diff option.

Wondering if there's any experience with/advice on getting a diff rebuilt. Am i looking at 1K, or more, to get that done?

Thanks,
G

·
Registered
293 Posts
Don't know low long you had this vehicle, but the diff could have been weakened by some irresponsible offloading. A crack in a tooth can take months of cyclic loading before it gives.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.. If it breaks again fix it then. I bet it won't for a long time.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
yes the 4 pin diff is desirable but difficult to locate, also keep up with differential service (oil changes every 36 months) at factory recommended intervals specially if you off road.
when one of my abused trucks suffered from the same fate as yours I upgraded to lockers, then again I used to off road it a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts