Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering blacking out the chrome front and rear bumpers and fog light surrounds on my RRS 2014 SC (leaving the grill chrome)

Any pics of this paint configuration? I looked all over the internet and all I could find were a few close ups somewhere on this forum

Also is plasti dip a good idea for these parts?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
299 Posts
I've platidiped a car before and I think the one thing i was unhappy about was the quality of the surface when you get close. This was right on the factory paint. I had a body shop do it so they had professional equipment. But it was one of their first jobs.

The surface doesn't look smooth like a vinyl wrap. It's very rough and looks pitted especially when you get close. It's also very very matte. Which might be the look youre looking for?

Vs
Vinyl wrap is very smooth and looks matte also, even up close.

Hope that helps a bit?

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,240 Posts
To be clear you mean make the silver pieces from a non Dynamic SC black like the Dynamic/ATB?

My understanding is plastidip won't hurt the surface but as Holeecow says the result may not look great, but it's entirely user dependent. It will be matte although they may have a gloss layer you can spray on. It may be a good option to test out a color and see if you like it before to making a permanent change.

Options for changing the surrounds to black would otherwise be a vinyl wrap, painting existing pieces, or buying OEM parts that are black. I know euro active sells them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 2014 SC, so there was no option back then

The company I've gotten a quote from are specialized in plastic dip so I'm not worried about the quality. I'm more worried about appearance. I'm considering using plasti dip because its inexpensive and I would just peel it off if I felt that it doesn't completely suit the car.

They offered a gloss or matte finish, and after reading your replies, I'm guessing i should go for the gloss back finish on both.

These are the parts I'm considering plastic dipping, meaning that I would leave the silver on the grill, vents, and the rims.

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Car
Automotive exterior Bumper Bumper part Auto part Vehicle

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,240 Posts
Ah gotcha. Plasti-dip will certainly be the cheapest option. I know it's easy to remove but not sure how durable it will be. I think OEM pieces would be cost prohibitive, so a vinyl wrap may be an alternative if you find the plasti-dip doesn't work out.

·
Banned
363 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts