RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed during highway driving that my passenger side corner of the hood was shaking during high speeds. I checked the hood latch and it was on. In investigating this I noticed that on the passenger side there are 2 openings. One of the openings has what appears to be a black garbage bag and it feels like there is soft foam inside. I checked the driver's side and it doesn't exist. I refrained from removing it as it stuffed in there so I wasn't sure if it was some sort of a.) insulation, b.) sound deadening, c.) both. And how come its not there on the driver's side?

IMG_4573.jpg IMG_4572.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Weird. Seems like a cheap approach to insulation, if that's what this does, but I just checked my car and I have this black plastic on both sides in the holes nearest the hinge...

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
63 Posts
This is part of the intake tract, and may be "the adhesive strip backing paper from the front vents" per TOPIx, but it isn't pictured. I've never seen adhesive backing that looked like that, for sure.

Maybe it's some NVH insulation, but if it were, I'd imagine that NVH parts that live inside of the intake tract would be static in form, rather than some flappy trash bin liner.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I noticed during highway driving that my passenger side corner of the hood was shaking during high speeds. I checked the hood latch and it was on. In investigating this I noticed that on the passenger side there are 2 openings. One of the openings has what appears to be a black garbage bag and it feels like there is soft foam inside. I checked the driver's side and it doesn't exist. I refrained from removing it as it stuffed in there so I wasn't sure if it was some sort of a.) insulation, b.) sound deadening, c.) both. And how come its not there on the driver's side?
The hood/bonnet is the entry point for the air intake(s), so on the TD6 one side is plugged with that foam filled bag as it only has a single air box.

One thing I’ve noticed with all L405’s is the hood needs to be closed with some force otherwise the passenger side latch (LHD) won’t fully catch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lemetier,
Your explanation makes perfect sense. And yes, the passenger side of the hood started to flutter during highway driving. I only noticed it because I just gotten a car wash and I saw the reflection change in my peripheral.

Any issue removing the foam filled bag? I assume it won't change anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
lemetier,
Your explanation makes perfect sense. And yes, the passenger side of the hood started to flutter during highway driving. I only noticed it because I just gotten a car wash and I saw the reflection change in my peripheral.

Any issue removing the foam filled bag? I assume it won't change anything.
Leave them alone. There’s more than one and are placed there to prevent water from being sucked in from the cowling side.

·
Registered
623 Posts

View attachment 266890 View attachment 266892
page 1 here : https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/24-range-rover-mark-iv-l405/262130-new-2017-arrived-aeb-error-message.html#post1831946

1 - 9 of 9 Posts