RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so my question is where can i get black door handles for my RRS?
I've looked on ebay and they have covers that involve glueing the covers to the oem ones. My only problem with this is when it comes time to trade in or sell and i take them off i won't want it to ruin the oem handles.
I have also gone to a few body shops and they want outrageous prices just to paint them and also say that the door handles often break when trying to take them off.
PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Get some OEM handles on ebay, spray paint them black then remove your originals and put the black ones on.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
If you don't want to have yours painted for resale purposes, you can buy a new spare set of color matched door handles for around $200 from a dealer (example: http://landrover.niello.com/accessories ... ategory=61), often less if you keep an eye on eBay. My body shop charged me about $100 to sand and color match an extra set of OEM handles I bought used and brought to them, this was 4 years ago and they are still in perfect shape today. Replacing the handles is an easy DIY job, there is a thread linked in this forum's FAQ with detailed instructions. It is possible - but you need to be very patient... - to remove the handle caps without breaking either of the retaining plastic clips (the handle themselves won't break), but even if you do break one of the two clips the caps still pop back in place and stay there - mine have been that way for 4 years. :wink: Also, if flat black is acceptable, don't forget that LR2 and LR3 stock handles are black rather than gray, but otherwise identical to the Sport's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah one other comment.
I today i went to the body shop for my cracked bumper, that happened this winter. They wanted about $1400 all together for a new bumper, and paint.
While i was there i asked about pricing for color coding the bottom area of the car. And he said he wouldn't recomend doing this because its not meant to be painted and will chip in a few years. And i know a whole bunch of you guys on here have yours done. So why do body shops tell us that we shouldn't do it or its not meant to be painted. I figure they would tell us anythings possible just trying to make money these days.. guess not.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
RangingPA said:
So why do body shops tell us that we shouldn't do it or its not meant to be painted.
Some possible reasons?

1) They have little to no experience in prepping/painting that kind of textured molding.
2) Worried that even though they warn you about chipping (and lets face it, it is more likely to happen down there) that you'll come back unhappy if it does happen.

Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
16 Posts
I'm thinking about getting CHROME handles. One company says OEM handles that have been chromed. Another says ABS plastic covers.
Anyone have issues, concerns and do's and don'ts. Thanks and best wishes,
Same question about the MIRRORS too.
Has anyone had the rear plastic corners painted (sounds like some have had the lower sides done)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts