Range Rovers Forum banner

Black box solutions

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  dave3d 
#1 ·
Hi, does anyone if the faultmate fcr will perform exactly the same functions as the EAS kicker (i.e. keep it in the glove box for when the EAS goes crazy). As it’s only about £100 more for the Faultmate I was hoping it would work as the EAS kicker does but with additional diagnostic capabilities? I have emailed Blackbox Solutions but their answer was inconclusive. Thanks, Dan

#2 ·
I would go with "None of the above"
I have an MSV and have not used it since I got an Nanocom.
MSV abd FCR are single vehicle boxes that are "stand alone" however, I have found that MSV really needs to be connected to a laptop to give full functionality, whereas the Nano is a stand alone machine which will work on multiple vehicles (You can help out a mate in need) Nano goes everywhere with me!
The MSV is a very fine device, and I have 3 sets of licenses for it. When it came to buying a 4th set, I looked at the price difference, and bought the Nano. There are other stand alone scan tools out there, but I have no experience with them.
Have you had a look at the dedicated Diagnostic equipment forum?

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/12-diagnostic-equipment/

Lots of discussion on the pros and cons there.

#3 ·
+1 on the Nanocom Evolution. I've only got the GEMS licence on mine so can't deal with engine problems on a Thor or diesel, but it will still work with all the other systems no matter what engine the car has. Will do everything the EAS Kicker will do and far more, not only does it clear EAS faults, it tells you what caused it to fault in the first place.

#4 ·
I did all this thinking too and ended up with the nanocom evolution for my gems. Haven’t regretted the extra expense. I know it seems a big difference in cost but I use mine all the time. Have used it to fix and calibrate EAS, reset mps airbag fault, calibrate hevac blend motors and set up the air idle. Had a fault on the eas on a very wet night this week - fixed in moments.

#6 ·
If it is just the EAS that you are concerned about, you can get the free program from RSW Solutions.
You will need to buy a lead or make one up and use it with an old windows XP laptop that has a serial connection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.