RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. okay. one of my binnacle lights had gone out a week ago. one of the two (inboard) that makes your odometer readout illuminate, so half the mileage was dim while the other alight. therefore i prepared to replace the bulb per the writeup on the main page. so i'm driving home from work and it comes back on. which pleases me. but i notice the readout is subtlely pulsing and just noticibly getting brighter and dimmer rythmically. what's the deal? something loose? connector? a ground?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Last weekend after I was forced to go off-roading (i.e.: I had to take a Dominican dirt road full of craters and big ass rocks), I was greeted with the "gearbox failure" message, and electrical power reset after flashing my long beams (every 4 or 5 flashes). A secondary symptom was that the message center started pulsing everytime I flashed the long beams.

Later on, I found out it was due to a loose positive cable on the battery. Apparently all the extrenely harsh terrain not only managed to get all my interior trim rattling as crazy, but it also loosened the battery connection. FYI, it wasn't that loose, just enough to anoy me and the Rangie. It all went away after I fastened the connector.

So, there you have it, your first answer ! :)

N.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had something similar a few years ago.
I cannot remember if all the binnacle lights were pulsing, but I did notice that the indication that the sidelights were on (centre top of the binnacle) was pulsing rythmically.
A day later my alternator failed.

Hopefully not your problem, but bear it in mind.

Don

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
god that's just what i need. thanks for the reply. interestingly everything i post in this thread seems to magically disappear after i submit it. we'll see how this reply goes...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel your pain man, I'm struggling with a simular issue. (See my post today)
Had the altenator tested and according to the workshop it's not the cause. Me thinks I'll just go ahead and replace the altenator anyway, hoping for the best. :pray:
I can't shake the feeling that it is in fact the problem.
Please communicate what sorted your bug.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm going to give the alternator the hairy eyeball and ensure my grounds and cables are all secure and report back. It appears to be in snyc with the rhythm of the engine as the belt makes the journey around the pulleys. therefore i am concerned it is indeed the alternator as it seems to be perfectly timed to the rotation of that pulley. it may be letting go. fortunately there is a place up the street that does nothing but rebuild alternators.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the input viper. i replaced the belt a couple months ago so is probably not damaged. it's good on visual inspection anyway and made things run more smoothly and quietly. of course the pulley could still be a suspect. tomorrow i'll finally have time to tighten everything and take a closer look.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and it's fixed! false alarm. it must have been a while since the alternator cable was tightened down b/c it was a little loose. so i tightened that and both battery terminal cables for good measure. "pulsing" lights totally corrected now that the current can flow properly. also i cleaned the maf last night with crc and the 1500 flatspot is gone. good times! :clap:

·
Registered
206 Posts
dutchfrompredator said:
and it's fixed! false alarm. it must have been a while since the alternator cable was tightened down b/c it was a little loose. so i tightened that and both battery terminal cables for good measure. "pulsing" lights totally corrected now that the current can flow properly. also i cleaned the maf last night with crc and the 1500 flatspot is gone. good times! :clap:
I told you so... `)

N.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts