RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried replacing their shocks and air springs with Bilstein’s B6 4600? Bilstein makes a replacement for the front shocks/springs but not the rear. I also noticed that Arnott is now using Bilstein shocks in their assembly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I’m going to look on other forums to see if anyone has used them on other vehicle makes, Mercedes, Porsche, etc... I may also simply stick with Land Rover, as 11 years isn’t a bad lifespan.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Ryan... there is no such thing as "air shocks". Before anyone pitches a fit on those dastardly dang things in the 80's for "load leveling" or the self leveling in Cadillacs from the mid 60's, this is a modern Range Rover discussion. :roll:

The EAS/strut assemblies on L320s have a standard strut in the middle. Depending on year and optioning it can be fitted as adjustable/dynamic. Where EAS differs you have a rubber bladder around the strut instead of a coil spring. The amount of air in the bladder adjusts your height.

The generic claims of better comfort and handling is pure BS marketing. It is entirely subjective as to what you think "better" is. The handling or comfort is accomplished by the set valving in the strut. the exception are struts with variable valving. Bilstein is know world wide for "better handling" sadly that comes at great expense to comfort. The Bilsteins I installed on one of my Granite P38s ruined the "magic carpet" ride. it was harsh, ugly and not at all befitting of any Range Rover. I went back to factory Boge units and smooth as could be. You can not have it both ways. Tighter suspension with less flexibility and less travel give you "handling" but your fell every bump in the road. More flexibility and more travel sacrifice handling to give you comfort and a smooth ride as the bumps are absorbed.

R

·
0 Posts
Ryan... there is no such thing as "air shocks". Before anyone pitches a fit on those dastardly dang things in the 80's for "load leveling" or the self leveling in Cadillacs from the mid 60's, this is a modern Range Rover discussion. :roll:
....so "air springs" is the name to use?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts