RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: Range Rover Runs over Bikers in NYC (hopefully no one here, they were attacked)

I always knew my Sport could roll over a few motorcycles if necessary - now I know for sure. Makes for a nice warm feeling, doesn't it?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Re: In case you guys haven't seen this video yet.

Sad on both parts, but NYPost reports the guy called 911 before he even hit the first guy who braked in front of him. I wouldn't stay around if I felt threatened...
How long does NYPD take to respond to a distress call? Not a cop in sight during the entire ordeal. My guess is that he probably didn't call, at least not right away, but then again it's hard to act rationally when surrounded by a pack of wolves. I feel bad for him and his family, I can imagine the horror in that car during those 10-15 minutes. The bikers? Put three bikers together on a road and 9 out of 10 times they start acting like a-holes. I'm not sending flowers to the injured ones, that's for sure. Hopefully they throw the most rabid ones in the slammer for a while, the video from one of their buddies is comically incriminating and should allow NYPD to easily identify them. :dance:

It looked like it was on the bump stops at the end of the video... :shhh:
His tires were slashed, so the car will throw a fault and drop down.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Wonder what happened to initiate this. All we see and speculate is what we saw on a video. Wonder what happened prior? why did the bikes slow down? was the Rover pushy? Not smart of the guy to risk this scenario with a 2 year old in the car. Not wise at all, let em pass..

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts

Getting stuck behind a group of bikers who think they own the road, passing cars left and right and over the emergency lanes, then grandstanding at their own leisurely pace on the freeway and inconveniencing every other driver on the road behind them, has happened to me countless times on weekends here in SoCal. I've put up with those retards and never attempted to honk at them or tried squeezing by, as I have little doubt I'd end up just like that guy in the SUV otherwise. Whatever happened to initiate this doesn't justify the mob mentality that follows. Once he was corralled into the ambush, the RRS driver did the one and only thing he could do - escape for his and his family's life, because he was probably going to get killed or beat to a pulp otherwise. And anyway, if you decide to brake check a 3-ton SUV on a tiny bike, you should know what the possible consequences are. I still wonder, where the hell were NYC's finest during this? Held at the donut shop?

PS: Here are some more videos from the helmet cam of this hot rodder before the RRS incident... Enlightening stuff, and very consistent with their behavior during and after the incident. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3cd_1380579664

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
206 Posts

Getting stuck behind a group of bikers who think they own the road, passing cars left and right and over the emergency lanes, then grandstanding at their own leisurely pace on the freeway and inconveniencing every other driver on the road behind them, has happened to me countless times on weekends here in SoCal. I've put up with those retards and never attempted to honk at them or tried squeezing by, as I have little doubt I'd end up just like that guy in the SUV otherwise. Whatever happened to initiate this doesn't justify the mob mentality that follows. Once he was corralled into the ambush, the RRS driver did the one and only thing he could do - escape for his and his family's life, because he was probably going to get killed or beat to a pulp otherwise. And anyway, if you decide to brake check a 3-ton SUV on a tiny bike, you should know what the possible consequences are. I still wonder, where the hell were NYC's finest during this? Held at the donut shop?
I believe that the US Supreme Court has stated that the Police are not there to protect the public. The Canadian Supreme Court has definitely stated that the Police cannot insure anyone's safety.

Basically you are on your own. The Police will show up after all is said and done. They will investigate and write information so that the insurance people can minimize their payments.

I looked at the video. The bikers were not driving safely. Then there is the mob mentality that takes over. Such rallies where traffic is being obstructed should be banned.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Rightly or wrongly, I will not honk a horn or make any moves around a group of bikers even when they are acting like a-holes.

My closest brush with this came when I had my K1200RS and was heading up the NYS Thruway to ride the roads in the Catskills. I'm riding alone, and the next thing I know I'm being reeled in by a pack of Pagans. I see them closing, but I'm already doing about 85 mph, so I let the first few go, they slow down, and next thing I'm in the middle of about a dozen of them. They were certainly trying to mess with me, as there was no nod or tip as they passed. While I'm mulling over my escape options, I'm boxed in for about 5 miles, then they break apart and leave me alone. It was the longest 5 miles I ever rode. Looking back on this I'm glad I did not try to break out of the pack.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

I believe that the US Supreme Court has stated that the Police are not there to protect the public. The Canadian Supreme Court has definitely stated that the Police cannot insure anyone's safety.

Basically you are on your own. The Police will show up after all is said and done. They will investigate and write information so that the insurance people can minimize their payments.
What the heck are you talking about? So, in Canada if you are in the process of being assualted the police will just stand there until the perp is finished with you then write a report?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
335 Posts
Re: Range Rover Runs over Bikers in NYC (hopefully no one here, they were attacked)

Either way, Im a rider as well and these cars don't show respect for some one on a bike and vise versa, they driver in the RRS should have been charged with asault with a motor vehicle and hit and run, then charge the biker with asault on the driver!!!! If someone stops short in front of you, your not supposed to mow them down!!!!! if he stopped, it would has saved him an @ss wipping infront of his family!!!! the biker is now paralysed!!!!!
I always knew my Sport could roll over a few motorcycles if necessary - now I know for sure. Makes for a nice warm feeling, doesn't it?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,966 Posts

Either way, Im a rider as well and these cars don't show respect for some one on a bike and vise versa, they driver in the RRS should have been charged with asault with a motor vehicle and hit and run, then charge the biker with asault on the driver!!!! If someone stops short in front of you, your not supposed to mow them down!!!!! if he stopped, it would has saved him an @ss wipping infront of his family!!!! the biker is now paralysed!!!!!
I guess you need to see the whole picture here. 30-40 bikers vs one family. what the rover driver did was natural fight or flight instinct. what the bikers did was mob mentality.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,966 Posts

What the heck are you talking about? So, in Canada if you are in the process of being assualted the police will just stand there until the perp is finished with you then write a report?
that is true here in the US as well. someone cuts you off, you call the cops and they will not move unless you got hurt, you have a fender bender etc. aggressive behavior doesn't amount to anything even verbal assault unless there was physical assault involved.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts

There are no "good guys" in this rediculous turn of events. Both sides show and incredible lack of maturity and poor judgement.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

that is true here in the US as well. someone cuts you off, you call the cops and they will not move unless you got hurt, you have a fender bender etc. aggressive behavior doesn't amount to anything even verbal assault unless there was physical assault involved.
Again do either of you two have a clue as to what you are talking about? In NY State and many other states, if the police witness an act of aggressive driving they can issue you a summons. You do not need to have a TEC-9 fired at you, a fender bender, or be assaulted first. The fact that police did not respond quickly to a 911 call is another matter.

"The NYS State Police have pointed out that there is a difference between aggressive driving and so called "road rage". "Road Rage", such as using the vehicle as a weapon or physically assaulting a driver or their vehicle, is NOT aggressive driving. These are criminal offenses, and there are laws in place to deal with these violent crimes."

http://www.safeny.ny.gov/aggr-ndx.htm

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts

If someone stops short in front of you, your not supposed to mow them down!!!!! if he stopped, it would has saved him an @ss wipping infront of his family!!!!
Did you even watch the video or read what is being reported?
Guy called 911 before the incident even happened.
Biker brake checks him and he stopped.
Bikers slash 1 or more of his tires/beat on the Rover.
Guy takes off.

·
Registered
335 Posts

I guess your right, we have to see he whole pic from the very begining! but over all they need to have a mutual respect for each other.
I guess you need to see the whole picture here. 30-40 bikers vs one family. what the rover driver did was natural fight or flight instinct. what the bikers did was mob mentality.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Well said RRtoad!!!!!!!!!!
There are no "good guys" in this rediculous turn of events. Both sides show and incredible lack of maturity and poor judgement.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Re: This is why I always conceal carry......

Yeah I saw that... i think a little hand gun would not help there. You want an armored RR.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts