Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am looking to upgrade from my stock rim/tires (29'') to a set of 31'' M/T tires with 15'' rims. my question is, is the extra torque from the bigger tires going to do any damage to the diffs. i know it is a big problem with jeeps and the dana diffs. so can the ring and pinyon handle it off-roading and DD...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm unsure as to whether or not 15" rims will fit... Not certain, but my 16" rims are verry snug around the brakes.

As for 31" tires, you shouldn't have too much of an issue. 31 or 32" tires are probably the biggest you'd want to go though without doing some other upgrades. I'm sure bigger tires would work, but it might not be the best for the vehicle.

However if you really want to go for it, obviously upgrading the diffs is a good idea as well.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
i've had 31's on mine for over a year. these axles are full floating front and rear. they seem to be pretty strong even for a CV style axle.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
It is full floater. take a look at some pictures. the hub is not attached to the axle shaft. it is splined on both sides. therefore a full floater.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
361 Posts
Full floater indicates that the wheel hub rotates on tapered bearings connected to a spindle, the spindle then carries the load. The axle shaft is then only used to transfer power.

Even if splined at both ends the rover axleshaft still does both jobs, supports weight and transfers power. This makes it a semi float axle.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It doesn't matter where the bearing rides on the axleshaft. The fact that the axleshaft holds the truck off the ground and sends power to the wheels makes the rover a semi float axle, that is the definition of semi float.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You should be fine - I'm currently dealing with a blown 3rd. member gifted to me by the Previous Owner
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system
Scissors Glasses Eyewear Paper Drawing

As long as you show some respect to your diff on the street - I suspect you'll be fine. My bet is my Previous Owner went to mash on the gas after putting 32" Mickey Thompson's on this rig plus a 2" Coil lift and BOOM...

I'm going to do a write up on replacing the Rear 3rd. Member later today after I'm done. It's far more straightforward than I'd thought previously.

Brett

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
i found that picture in the Discovery 2 portion of RAVE. For some reason the brilliant minds at Land Rover decided there wasn't a need for those kinds of pictures in the P38 manual. Just mirror the picture in you head and its the same as the P38. I found it in a PDF form here.

http://www.landroverresource.com/docs/D2_Workshop_Manual.pdf

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.