RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Range Rover P38A
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The new Magnacore plug leads came today and I have to say I was sceptical as to wether they would cure the LPG tickover misfire.

What a difference, purrs like a kitten. All I can say is that I'll be joining the ranks of satisfied customers, very pleased indeed.

·
Registered
1996 Range Rover P38A
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'm pretty much done with my truck now. I've checked the compression readings again and although a little lower they were a lot more even, at least the valves are all getting the same amount of lift now, and no more oil leaks either!

Strangely, my fuels trims have gone from one extreme to another. We were at +100% and were now running at -93% but drives like a dream, i'll keep monitoring it and see what i can learn.

The rough idle on Petrol went with the new cam and in came a lot more power, the idle on LPG wasn't as good but at least is wasn't stalling anymore. When the new ignition leads were fitted the LPG idle settled right down and the drive is now sumptuous. At it's worst in the winter, the change over from petrol to LPG would simply see the motor stall at the next set of lights. I think we've seen the back of that now.

I was so pleased with the leads that i phoned Magnacore to thank them. Phil at Magnacore took time to explain to me the importance of good leads and how poor leads stress the system and ultimately destroy the coils, particularly on LPG were we need almost twice the voltage to make the spark.

This article
http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm goes into great depth on the construction and use of ignition leads for those who may be interested.

IMG_2189.jpg New belt just turned up, my thanks to those who saw fit to give me a nudge:thumb:, sometimes you need it.

My thanks to all, if it wasn't for this site i'd have probably just run her into the ground, just goes to show the power of community.

Andy.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,220 Posts
Hi Andy,

I'm contemplating doing a cam change at some point soon - I have tapping on the LH bank (cylinder 6 I think), oil usage (probably valley gasket I think), maxed out fuel trims, and she feels a bit gutless too.

Drives alright, fairly smooth on cruising on the motorway, but idle is a bit over the place - 'hunts' a wee bit..

So, a couple of questions... Now a few months on, and in winter, how's you RR doing? how are the fuel trims now? what's your mpg like? LPG still running ok?

Also, do you still have your crank holding tool? Would be willing to pay postage on it if you still have it... when the time comes to do the work.

Hope you and the RR are well!

Cheers,
Marty

41 - 43 of 43 Posts