RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while and its good to be back and then again maybe not so good. :( I have a BIG Electrical problem and hope you members have some clues as to what is going on here. With the key OUT of the ignition I am getting a orange fuel light, red fuel light, SRS light, AIR BAG FAULT, mileage is on. Turned switch on and no instrument lights come on. But then I get the ELECTRICAL FAULT warning, then the FUEL GAGE FAULT, AIR BAG FAULT warning. Started motor and the fuel light and temp light still on and the dials don't move. Turn signals work but no arrows on the dash, ABS light comes on and off. Shut off motor, pull key and the fuel and temp lights stay on, SRS, ABS, mileage stay on the the ELECTRICAL FAULT, AIR BAG FAULT stay on, all with the key out of the ignition. Then after short time the dash goes dark and the lights back up with the Faults. It starts and runs fine and the air ride system seems to be unaffected by this. I checked the voltage across from -to+ and it is at 12.75 volts. ANY HELP from you members would sure be a big help to me as I just don't have a clue as to what is causing this. Best Regards Skip R :?:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
I had the same bunch of messages while i was messing with the BECM connectors.
Contact cleaner on those could be the solution, if it is check your heater o-rings then

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
492 Posts
Sounds as if the BECM is confused. Have you tried just disconnecting the battery (paying heed to the procedure at the top of this forum) and leaving it disconnected for five minutes before reconnecting to try and clear the BECM's 'head'? If the faults still persist then I would suspect an earthing problem - check battery earths first (both ends, although unlikely if the starter spins and the motor fires up OK), then earths around the BECM, then earths for the dash - RAVE will give you the relevant information on earthing points.

·
Registered
931 Posts
This sounds like either a contaminated connector,bad earth or a failed Becm.if it was just the instrument cluster lights staying on ,then I would favour the Becm having failed.But as you have other messages on the message centre have a good look at all the earth points and Becm and instrument pack connectors.
Good Luck :think:

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
12.75 is on the high side really if the engine isn't running and being charged by the alternator.

Why not run through the complete 'Electrical' sticky at the top of the forum? That may offer some clue towards locating the problem. Always start by checking the battery and alternator charging. Very often the fault starts with one of these.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rich998a said:
12.75 is on the high side really if the engine isn't running and being charged by the alternator.

Why not run through the complete 'Electrical' sticky at the top of the forum? That may offer some clue towards locating the problem. Always start by checking the battery and alternator charging. Very often the fault starts with one of these.
Thanks for the word of advice.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This morning went to the rover and got in started it up and no problems :?: so I drove it down to the shop and disconnected the battery and got under the right passenger seat and took all the BECM connectors and cleaned them with MAF spray cleaner and put it all back together. There was one prong in one of the yellow wire connectors that had a green film on it, other that that they all seemed to be in good shape. After that I tightened all the ground connectors in and around the battery and fuse box next to the battery. One thing I did notice is that the positive wire connector in the fuse box that comes from the battery was not real tight at all :?: so I give the nut at least a half turn to get it tight. I tested the battery again and it was over 12.50 volts with the motor off and about 14.10 volts or so with the motor running. I guess I will just have to see what happens next if anything. :roll:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rick-the-Pick said:
Your BeCM has failed. You'll need to replace it.
After the maintenance on the connectors and ground connections etc. it all came back to normal and things are working as they should so why would you say the BeCM has failed? :roll: As I mentioned the main electrical connection in the fuse box from the battery was on the ragged edge of being loose and I found one corroded prong in one of the yellow connectors that plug into the BeCM. :|

·
Registered
820 Posts
I said your BeCM has failed, because the syptoms you have are common with BeCM failure.

It looks like you've had the typicalal warning signs of things to come.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts