Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on using a fuel injector cleaner such as Chevron tech or BG 44k. I have a 2008 RR HSE with 106k miles on it and going well. i cleaned the throttle body (rpms dip at strt) about 6k miles ago and have no other problems. is itsafe to use or will i end up with problems?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
241 Posts
You won't hurt it sticking some in, don't do it more than once without an oil change as it can thin the oil and cause problems that way, personally I'd run some through and then do an oil and filter change...

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Doing intake/fuel treatments will thin the oil... or at least that is what some report/believe. So for safety do such treatments just prior to your oil change.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts
I don't see how TechRon can possibly thin oil. All it is is a concentrated version of the good additives that make Chevron gas so unique and good.

For what my experience is worth, I only used Chevron Premium when I lived in CA. I would add a bottle of Techron every 4 months since I began driving. When I moved to VT, where Chevron does not exist, I began adding it every 2 months to supplement Shell V-Power gasoline . I never change my oil after. Never, in any car, have I ever had any type of motor issue. But if it makes you feel better plan it around your oil change.

I highly recommend using it. I have yet to meet a mechanic that thinks it's a waste.

As far as the crankcase oil goes, I use Seafoam. That is something that should only be added right before an oil change for the first time or two that you use it.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Agree totally. I;ve used TechRon, and other quality injector cleaners, as well for many many years. If you use common sense you will quickly realize that a fuel additive is such a minute dilution it is certainly not going to wash your cylinders clear of lubrication or foul your oil. Injector cleaners are for maintenance and minute deposits. If your injectors are fouled enough that you feel the need to be dumping huge amounts of cleaners in you need a proper injector cleaning, not an additive.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any chance that bg 44 can thin your oil and cause oil leaks? i used a can of bg44k at 105k and at 107 i changed oil and the mechanic noticed a leak on the fronit side of engine... cant exactly figure where it is coming from and said that this is common in vehicles with such mileage,,,, said it is almost like condensation or sweating of oil... does this make sense?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
339 Posts
According to Kevin Cameron with Cycle World magazine, makers of fuel and oil employ the usual range of additives such as dispersants and other surfactants to prevent deposit formation or to keep fuel injectors clean. Would these additives work even better if we added more of them in the form of one of the scores of engine treatments on the market? The only people who know from actual measurements are the chemist in fuels and lubricant labs. We laymen have only product advertising or personal experiences. Readers are advised to let common sense be their guide here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts