RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to do an urgent replacement of the front most U joint on the Borrego.
It was gone and just short of catastrophic failure. It started vibrating very suddenly while I was a long way from help, so nursed it home....
I searched in vain at all the local auto parts for quality U joints only to find they were all from China.
Not even Napa had USA made joints in stock.
My policy is buy the best available parts whenever possible, however, in the end I got one from O'Riley and put it in as I needed to get it back on the road quickly.
I then found and bought 3 more Moog US made parts from E bay to do the rest of them.
Did the back shaft and found the old ones to be still pretty tight, however when I went to replace the second one on the front shaft I found about a quarter inch of play in the "New One" !!
This was after only about 2,000 miles. Sad!
I used the 3rd Moog and will order one more for the remaining original U joint.
So,......IF you have used Chinese U joints, Jack up each axle, crawl under, and give a wheel a twist whilst watching the u joints for rotational slack between the yokes. There should be none.....
If they seem OK, Grease them anyway, since you are there!:thumb:
O'Riley is getting their junk u joint back this afternoon!

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Precision 344 have been recommended for years, every NAPA up here always have them in stock or can have them in a few hours. The 344s are more durable than factory with a longer nipple for easier service.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My local Napa said the Precision were 2 days out, and I needed to get on the road that day for a trip South. (I of course, now regret this decision!)
Moog 344s are same as Precision. USA made, with longer Zerks as well.
Place on e bay had them for 15 bucks apiece NOS.
I will be getting 5 more as the White 02 (Bolt) will be here from Hawaii soon, and is due for new ones as well
Now, just an oil change, trans service, Diff oil change, and ready for a road trip to Seattle Boat Show:dance:

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
well you will certainly enjoy the traffic around Century Link Field. The Viaduct is closed permanently. That means appx. 228,000 additional cars will be using alternate routes on city streets an through the SODO area.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well you will certainly enjoy the traffic around Century Link Field. The Viaduct is closed permanently. That means appx. 228,000 additional cars will be using alternate routes on city streets an through the SODO area.

Oh JOY!
I read about that recently. Nice planning!
Looks like we will pass on the Boat Show as it is not Dog Friendly and the Deck Mutts will be with us.....
Should be ok with traffic going as far North as Arlington, to visit friends and colleagues?
Any nasty surprises there that you know of?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Nope but 405 is taking the brunt of commuter traffic northbound. So get up early and get ahead of commuters or head up around 10 or 11 when folks are settled in down town.it's coming up on 9:30 here I-5 is stop and go from Boeing Field to I-90. 405 is stop and go through the Renton S Curve, heavy until New Castle, stop and go again... you get the idea.. 405 was stop and go from the I5 interchange all the way to Bellevue at 8 this morning. And this has been your ToadHall traffic report! :lol:

Actually the dog woke me up at 4:30 coffee and I watched KOMO live traffic until 9. Having very lazy morning before taking the Fiat 124 in to start a warranty claim for replacement trunk emblem that has flaws in the background.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well shoot!
Think I will just go to Hawaii instead!
Got to ship Bolt to America....
FYI....Napa precision u joints are now skf........and now Chinese....,..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts