RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
best standard suspension upgrade RRC 300tdi .. terrafirma/bilstein?

hello
i am new here.
i have searched a lot on this topic but did not find a definate answer if it exists :smile:

my RRC (on coils from factory) is on stock suspension but with 3cm spacers.
i would like to remove the spacers but retain the same look/stance.
i was thinking that if i replace with new springs and shocks that are of standard height not lifted could it be she will still look the same as regards height.
reason being i would be replacing tired/worn springs and shocks that would have settled in over the years with new fresh ones eventhough removing 3cm spacers.

my main priority is road comfort, that is one of the main reasons that i do not want to replace with a +2 suspension lift kit. apart from all the other modifications to retain castor and camber.
i drove a lifted defender with procomp suspension kit and the ride was very harsh.

i will not be using my rrc for offroading, just some greenlaning and i am sure she is capable in stock form.

what would you recommend for my use please?
just replace with new genuine springs and shocks or go for bilstein?
terrafirma also offer springs and socks in standard height, do you know how is the ride quality on these please?

thank you

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
149 Posts
Re: best standard suspension upgrade RRC 300tdi .. terrafirma/bilstein?

hello
i am new here.
i have searched a lot on this topic but did not find a definate answer if it exists :smile:

my RRC (on coils from factory) is on stock suspension but with 3cm spacers.
i would like to remove the spacers but retain the same look/stance.
i was thinking that if i replace with new springs and shocks that are of standard height not lifted could it be she will still look the same as regards height.
reason being i would be replacing tired/worn springs and shocks that would have settled in over the years with new fresh ones eventhough removing 3cm spacers.

my main priority is road comfort, that is one of the main reasons that i do not want to replace with a +2 suspension lift kit. apart from all the other modifications to retain castor and camber.
i drove a lifted defender with procomp suspension kit and the ride was very harsh.

i will not be using my rrc for offroading, just some greenlaning and i am sure she is capable in stock form.

what would you recommend for my use please?
just replace with new genuine springs and shocks or go for bilstein?
terrafirma also offer springs and socks in standard height, do you know how is the ride quality on these please?

thank you
For what you're describing keep the stock springs. I have followed locked and lifted Rovers everywhere but big rock crawling with just the stock suspension. This setup gives the great travel and comfort that RR's are known for. The spacers are a good idea. Why get rid of them? You could just get a new set of stock springs and that would bring you back to stock height. An alternative is the Land Rover factory HD springs which give about an inch of lift but are softer. Anything aftermarket will be stiff and disappointing if you want the famous Range Rover ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

hello oryx
thank you for your reply.
my reasoning for removing the suspension spacers is that with these on the shocks are already utilizing their damping before the car is even absorbing any bumps.
i was thinking of removing the spacers and leave her running on the stock springs and shocks.
at what mileage are these usually past their lifetime? my car has a documented 104k miles and almost never been off road.

thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

i have measured from the centre of the wheel/hub to the top of the fender and i have 20". so do you think my spacers are actually 2" please? thank you

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,078 Posts

I recently replaced my rears with police springs (red and white) 170 lbs per inch, 16.9" odd long. Goes great offroad and handles well on road. I think they are the same ones Oryx is talking about. Aftermarkets are probably a whole lot stiffer and will mean a worse ride on road and poorer performance off road. A technical book I purchased on upgrading coil sprung land rovers recommends fitting these springs as an easy performance improver.

The range rover theory is you don't need lockers because the suspension is so soft that its hard to get a tyre off the ground.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,078 Posts

The workshop manual says average clearance on the rear bump stops should be in excess of 67 mm - don't know if that helps

·
Registered
149 Posts

hello oryx
my reasoning for removing the suspension spacers is that with these on the shocks are already utilizing their damping before the car is even absorbing any bumps.
i was thinking of removing the spacers and leave her running on the stock springs and shocks.
at what mileage are these usually past their lifetime? my car has a documented 104k miles and almost never been off road.

thank you
Install longer shocks like Terrafirma, etc. Standard Bilstein's and OME's are the same length as stock so avoid those. Any +2 inch shock will be fine. The police springs are a good way to go with the green stripe Range Rover diesel springs on the front (150 lbs.)

·
Registered
149 Posts

The range rover theory is you don't need lockers because the suspension is so soft that its hard to get a tyre off the ground.
Exactly and in my experience the standard RRC suspension works so well off road that I wonder why modify it unless you want more clearance. I think just fitting additional armor underneath is all that is needed to overcome that. Go with good 31 inch mud tires and you're set. Always impressed with the stock off road performance on these beasts. . .

·
Registered
203 Posts

hello oryx

thank you
If you like the ride height that you currently have and the spring rate, there is no reason to change the springs. The spacers have no effect on the performance of the shocks. The spacer only changes ride height. It has no effect on spring rate; it only places the vehicle body in a higher position relative to the compressed spring height. If you were to replace the springs with a longer spring of the same spring rate to retain the current ride height the shocks would end up in the exact same position they are currently. Also it is common for most 2” lift suspensions to use the stock length shocks, so you shouldn’t have a problem with shock length. If you increase the shock length you will most likely need to lower your bump stops to ensure at full compression you don’t bottom out the shock itself. The factory shock length can limit down travel to some extent but this is usually acceptable as the wheel will be unweighted and not provide much traction at that point anyway. If you put on longer shocks you also risk having a spring dislocate at full droop as well as the fully extended spring can become loose since the shock will allow the axle to drop down further.

·
Registered
149 Posts

If you like the ride height that you currently have and the spring rate, there is no reason to change the springs. The spacers have no effect on the performance of the shocks. The spacer only changes ride height. It has no effect on spring rate; it only places the vehicle body in a higher position relative to the compressed spring height. If you were to replace the springs with a longer spring of the same spring rate to retain the current ride height the shocks would end up in the exact same position they are currently. Also it is common for most 2” lift suspensions to use the stock length shocks, so you shouldn’t have a problem with shock length. If you increase the shock length you will most likely need to lower your bump stops to ensure at full compression you don’t bottom out the shock itself. The factory shock length can limit down travel to some extent but this is usually acceptable as the wheel will be unweighted and not provide much traction at that point anyway. If you put on longer shocks you also risk having a spring dislocate at full droop as well as the fully extended spring can become loose since the shock will allow the axle to drop down further.
Considering there's only 3 inches or less between the axle and bump stop with this setup, it's highly unlikely that a 2 inch longer shock is going to bottom. Do you mean that the shock will overextend and may need limiting straps? As far as the spring dislocating, that may or may not happen. If it's a problem just retain the springs top and bottom.

·
Registered
671 Posts

Hi Oryx, I just installed new Bilstein shocks & factory springs (pink & green front, blue & white rear) and I'm very happy. It takes corners a lot better, and contrary to most reports I've heard, the Bilsteins are not harsh. The Police springs sounds great though. I might look for a set of this in the future to pair with the Bilsteins, but then again I'm mainly focusing on on-road driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts