RangeRovers.net Forum banner

Which if any would/will you fit?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Further to recent winter/offroad Tire posts I am interested on what forum members would choose as their year round R20 tire (tyre) based on off-road 4X4 looks but with year round acceptable road/highway ability from the following choices:

Coopers Zeon LTZ

Nokian WR G2

Hankook Ventus ST

Vredenstein Wintrac 4 Xtreme

Continental Cross Contact AT

Dunlop GrandTreck SJ5

Toyo Open Country W/T

Toyo Open Country A/T

Bridgestone DM-V1

PIRELLI SCORPION ICE SNOW RFT XL

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Gazellio said:
Rich998a said:
What have you been quoted on these tyres? :think:
Which ones?
I was wondering if these were tryes you were looking to fit, that's all.

Is that Pirelli quote for 2, or am I being optimistic??? :lol:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rich998a said:
Gazellio said:
Rich998a said:
What have you been quoted on these tyres? :think:
Which ones?
I was wondering if these were tryes you were looking to fit, that's all.

Is that Pirelli quote for 2, or am I being optimistic??? :lol:
I am considering all the above options for my tyre replacement in January.

Really like the Coopers but do mainly road work.

Price is for just the one P. I am afraid :cry:

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
If it helps at all, the Hankook ST is a pretty good tyre for the price. I was using an AT tyre on my p38 and found it dangerous. I switched to the Hankook and they obviously had much more tarmac grip, but I also find it better at speed in the wet, much less aquaplane, and I did use them in the snow last year and they were fine considering they are a road tyre.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm still trying to understand why tires for the 20 inch wheels are less expensive than the 19 inch ones :-(.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am current running the Grandtrek ST 8000 255/50 R20 109V XL BSW which are the OEM fitments on the 2006 model which are OK if a little noisy in the wet. They are £206.00 each or £824 a set.

"Direction bound tyres designed for off-road vehicles. Laminated to increase the traction on wet, contaminated and snow-covered roads."

I have just noticed that Dunlop now offer the Grandtrek PT 9000 255/50 R20 109V XL BSW a much more attractive looking tyre at a much better price £174.50 or £698 a full set.

I am wondering if they are quieter and why they are cheaper if newer series/technology? Perhaps they are not laminated like the ST8000...

"The SUV tyre that ensures a lot of fun by driving. For you to have the freedom to move as such as you please. The Dunlop Grandtrek PT 9000 ensures dynamic movements. It also has an incredible handling both on wet and dry driveways."

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow look at these from Vredestein:

ULTRAC SUV SESSANTA 255/50 ZR20 109W XL

"The Vredestein Ultrac SUV Sessanta is an uncompromising SUV tyre for the Ultra High Performance (UHP) segment. Based on the strong points of the Ultrac Sessanta, the Ultrac SUV Sessanta is equipped with an extra wide tread. This ensures better road holding and greater stability, whilst maintaining a high level of comfort. The Ultrac SUV Sessanta features a double rayon carcass layer and a strong belt. These give the tyre a higher load capacity, making it ideal for the heavier SUV cars. Tread pattern and sidewall have been created by Giugiaro Design giving the tyre a unique, contemporary look."

Price only £ 196.30

May not work so well in the snow...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
No point getting a snow tyre for anything other than winter conditions.
As it is designed for snow the rubber compound will be softer, which helps
grip during cold winter months by keeping the tyre flexible.
Using it during summer will wear it quickly and the effects of heat can have
a negative effect on braking and handling capabilities.

Buy a tyre that is designed for the use you envisage!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
q-rover said:
No point getting a snow tyre for anything other than winter conditions.
As it is designed for snow the rubber compound will be softer, which helps
grip during cold winter months by keeping the tyre flexible.
Using it during summer will wear it quickly and the effects of heat can have
a negative effect on braking and handling capabilities.

Buy a tyre that is designed for the use you envisage!
What about "All-Season" tyres then? I will be mainly using on roads but we do get a few days snow where i am and quite a bit of ice on back roads so want extra grip?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It would seem that my Dunlop Grandtrek ST 8000 255/50 R20 109V XL BSW are actually a pretty good compromise for mainly road use with a bit of Ice & Snow thrown it at certain times of the year.

"Direction bound tyres designed for off-road vehicles. Laminated to increase the traction on wet, contaminated and snow-covered roads."

"Original Equipment (OE) All-Season tires are the prevalent tire choice for vehicles sold in the United States. Developed for use on new cars and light trucks, these tires provide a versatile blend of ride quality, noise comfort, treadwear, handling and year-round traction, even in light snow.

While Original Equipment All-Season tires are often repurchased as direct replacements for pairs and sets of worn out Original Equipment tires, they can also be used on other vehicles in axle pairs or sets of four if they match the needed tire size, load range and speed rating specifications, as well as the anticipated driving conditions."

Winner of: Fifth Best Street/Sport Truck All-Season Tire

Why it's a best pick: This tire has great dry and wet traction. They do well in the snow and have good ride comfort, but are not very durable and the tread life is disappointing.

Any further ideas/experience?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Winner of: Best Street/Sport Truck All-Season Tire

Goodyear Fortera SL Edition Tire

Why it's best:
This is a tire developed for light-duty pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles. It has superior dry and wet traction. It also performs great in the snow and has excellent ride comfort. An excellent all-around tire highly recommended for anyone with an SUV.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it OK to have Hankook Ventus 285/50 R20 tyres on the back and 265/50 R20 tyres on the front to avoid over-stressing the steering mechanisms at low speed?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I have been using the Dunlop Grandtrek ST8000 for several years now and I think it's a great tire. They do wear pretty fast.

Do not run different size tires on these vehicles. The 4WD system is designed around same size configuration.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PARR06 said:
I have been using the Dunlop Grandtrek ST8000 for several years now and I think it's a great tire. They do wear pretty fast.

Do not run different size tires on these vehicles. The 4WD system is designed around same size configuration.
Good advice thanks. What do you think is the max width is not to upset the standard systems/characteristics of the car? (I would like to go for 265,275 or even 285)

Also are your Grandtrek's noisy on wet surfaces?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
lot's of people use wider sizes, although I wouldn't run anything wider than a 265 on a stock width rim. Keep in mind that the stock original diameter is about 30", so you don't want to vary too much from that.

As long as the alignment is good, the Dunlop ST8000's stay amazingly quiet, wet or dry. The tread pattern does have the potential to get noisy if the alignment is wrong.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The dunlop ST8000's I found to be absolutely woeful in the wet. I nearly had the car dive off the road from aquaplaning when hitting standing water in the dunlops. they had to go.

Having had good experiences with Kumho in the past both with RR tyres and offroad MT ones, I eventually landing with fitting these all round:

Kumho Ecsta STX KL12's ...

I got them in 265/50/20 for £110 fitted per corner .... yes £110.

Instantly a much better ride, smoother, quieter. Grip I feel is just as good, and most importantly, hitting standing water of which there is a lot round my way is no more of a problem. Really really pleased.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I think there is a lot to be said about these middle of the market tyres, like the Hankook and fisha's Kumho's. I think people tend to go for a brand name, which is fine, but the extra cost over a mid market tyre means you will keep the tyre on 'till it becomes preety much completely worn. I'm happy to buy a mid range tyre knowing I will change it earlier than a more expensive one. I'm sure this logic will be critisised, but that's the way I've started doing it. :think:

1 - 20 of 111 Posts