Range Rovers Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Sorry, I don't recall your emails. My address is [email protected] for future questions.

Arnott remanufactured struts are machine tested to assure proper functionality (there is a failure rate and those are not remanufactured.) After testing they are steam cleaned, any corrosion is sanded and then they are painted to help prevent future corrosion. These struts are then rebuilt with new multi-ply air bladders that are fastened with heavy duty crimping rings. Arnott also replaces the seals with longer lasting ones and replaces the air fitting and in some instances the entire top if it is damaged. Arnott remanufactured struts come with a Limited Lifetime Warranty (for as long as you own the vehicle) and maintain any auto damping and auto leveling functionality.

Arnott designed new struts are built with a new custom valved shock. While the new shock has zero miles it does not support any of the factory auto-damping but does work with your vehicle's auto leveling.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I think many here will find the above description confusing. As was described to me the struts are not rebuilt. As stated above they are tested then repainted. From there new bladders etc are added to the used strut.

You then say that "These struts are then rebuilt..." Doug, for the sake of clarification are the actual core struts completely rebuilt or simply painted? Adding bladders to a used strut with unknown mileage is not rebuilding the strut. It would be considered rebuilding the overall assembly with new EAS components.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Clear enough to me Carl...

"These struts are then rebuilt with new multi-ply air bladders that are fastened with heavy duty crimping rings. Arnott also replaces the seals with longer lasting ones and replaces the air fitting and in some instances the entire top if it is damaged."

I would say that the strut assembly is rebuilt (airbag), as the strut itself gets nothing done to it as far as performance goes.
And what is this "machine tested"?? Can we all see a picture of this machine in action, or a video? Be nice to see the machine that can test an auto dampening strut, and say its good.
So, in summary.....
We can buy struts with an unknown history that the magic machine says are good, or buy new one with zero miles on them, that dont work with the auto damping on the rig??
So unknown used with shiny paint, or new ones that do not support the vehicles features?
Cool

Martin

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Clarification has been the issue for ages. You can call customer service and the answer you get is different depending on who you get. As I noted above there is a huge difference in the STRUT being rebuilt and the entire EAS assembly being rebuilt around a tested/used strut. I finally gave up as the overwhelming consensus is the you are just buying used parts of unknown history with a new bladder.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Current pricing......
NEW Delphi, which is the oem part you'd get from a dealer, $247.72 each front strut. That is a NEW strut, NEW bag, ready to go. Obviously works with all factory systems. Island4x4.
NEW Arnott strut, which is the part you'd get from....Arnott, $419. Doesn't work with the variable damping, although it does not say that on the web site, so thanks to Doug for mentioning that here.
Then there is the repainted version, for $307.97, PLUS $100 core charge.
Yep, you pay shipping from Island4x4. But after getting stuff from them myself over the years, it is not a lot of money and the parts arrive pretty quick. It certainly is not $171.28 a strut to ship (the difference in pricing, new parts).
For @$500 though, I'm just not making sense of buying anything but OEM front struts...... Maybe I'm missing something

I emailed Island 4x4 regards 4 new bags for one of our P38's. Shipping is $94. Total of $326 for 4 new Dunlop airbags that last a decade or more. I'll let you work out the difference vs the junk GenII bags from Arnott that I have had zero luck with,

Martin

21 - 25 of 25 Posts