RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow RR owners. The time has come for me to replace my air struts on my 04. I am leaning towards Arnott rebuilt units. The cheapest I have found them is $550 for the pair plus $50/EA core charge. Can anyone share if they found them for less somewhere?

Also, I came across these "Expedited Parts" brand struts today and they caught my attention. Has anyone tried these before? They are $429 shipped with no core charge and are brand new units with 1 year warranty.

https://www.expeditedparts.com/product-category/passenger-air-springs/land-rover/

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
169 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Are they actually rebuilt struts or just repainted core struts with new bellows like Arnott?
Good question. According to the site they're rebuilt, but I'm not 100% sure what that entails. I haven't had any problems with their products, and a friend of mine has had them on his S-Class and Range Rover (2007) for 2-3 years now with no issues, so I can vouch for them.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Why risk it? I just had dr side frt fail (around 170K miles on them) and replaced both fronts with Delphi units from British Parts of Utah. I think they were around $550 each. If they last another 11years and 170k miles like the orig did I have no complaints....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Why risk it? I just had dr side frt fail (around 170K miles on them) and replaced both fronts with Delphi units from British Parts of Utah. I think they were around $550 each. If they last another 11years and 170k miles like the orig did I have no complaints....
I guess it depends on how much you're willing to spend. I bought my Range Rover for $3000 so I'm not about to spend $2000 on replacement struts, especially if there's an option that costs half of that.

Either way, it's still much cheaper than going to a dealer.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm still looking to purchase new front struts without the air spring, as I replaced both air springs with upgraded Arnott redesigned air springs which are way better than factory.

Can't find new struts without air springs :(

Also are there any higher performance struts and shocks for the L322 or just OEM replacements?

2006 L322 4.2L SC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess it depends on how much you're willing to spend. I bought my Range Rover for $3000 so I'm not about to spend $2000 on replacement struts, especially if there's an option that costs half of that.

Either way, it's still much cheaper than going to a dealer.
Exactly... Went with the rebuilt Arnotts that are readily available at parts stores. Going to tackle the job tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I replaced one air spring with the New Arnott and I agree that for 500 plus you would want to reuse it if possible. My reason was that I got the air spring from a source in Canada that was 100 at least cheaper than getting it shipped from the USA due to the fact that it must have been old stock pricing before our dollar hit the skids and the company had not revised their prices to reflect the horrible exchange rate. My second option would have been to get one from Island 4x4 in the UK which would have been a better price than an Arnott and the shock portion is new. And finally I did not want to install someone else's used shock on our car. When I disassembled and tried the shock it seems to be about 50-50 dampening but have never seen any tech info on the subject.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
610 Posts
Last winter i replaced front struts with delphi units. I bought delphi from russia and saved big money due to devaluation on russian rubles.
The old ones are in good condition for summer times but under the hard winter conditions right air bag was leaking.

For ten years and 100k miles on russian roads and in hard weather conditions i am very satisfied.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
FWIW Island 4x4 in the UK has the best prices on new Delphi struts shipping isnt too bad either.
I would not recommend the rebagged parts as they dont rebuild the shock portion just paint it.
why would you install someone else s used shocks on a 75K truck.

·
Registered
631 Posts
So how do we know that Arnott struts are just painted and not rebuilt? I'm not saying they are or aren't, it's just that I see a lot of talk on here saying that but no proof to back it up.

I need new struts, and would prefer new ones as opposed to rebuilt/used, and don't plan on buying Arnott struts.

I use Arnott airbags and wouldn't think twice about doing it again. But why is everyone knocking them for "painting" their struts?

Thx

2006 L322 4.2L SC

·
Registered
687 Posts
Why do people want to buy arnott ones when the brand new struts on island4x4 are a little over 300 US dollars each (at current US dollar strength). When one of my air struts was leaking i purchased a pair of 2 brand new struts including shipping for 900 dollars CND ( when the cnd dollars was actually worth more than US >< ).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Why do people want to buy arnott ones when the brand new struts on island4x4 are a little over 300 US dollars each (at current US dollar strength). When one of my air struts was leaking i purchased a pair of 2 brand new struts including shipping for 900 dollars CND ( when the cnd dollars was actually worth more than US >< ).
Because there are even cheaper options out there? With how little I paid for my Range Rover, I don't mind saving money on parts, especially if they're warrantied. Who cares what brand or label is on the strut or whether it's been rebuilt or new, if it works then it works. If you want to spend more money and get the factory struts, go right ahead, it's your choice after all.

·
Registered
687 Posts
https://www.arnottcanada.com/landrover-rangerover(superchargedonly)l322-2006-air-suspension-products.aspx <-- the site arnott has them as "manufactured air struts", for 338 USD a piece, -50 for core) Vs 303 US for brand new oem ones from island 4x4. I would rather buy the brand new ones for 303 vs 338-50 core for re manufactured ones, there is only a 15 dollar difference + shipping costs wherever you live. i have nothing wrong with saving money but for 15 dollars why would anybody not want the brand new oem one. If they rebuilt them to be superior to the stock ones i would understand, but i recall several people emailing arnott about these struts and they are refurbished struts, with new airbags, which pretty much means used struts with a new bag on them.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
So how do we know that Arnott struts are just painted and not rebuilt?
There have been more than a few members that have called customer service at Arnott, myself included, and told that the struts are "tested" and then new bladders fitted. That is their idea of a rebuild. I personally have sent Doug over at Arnott 2 emails and one postal letter asking for clarification on their "rebuild" process. I have received no responses. Doug has also had chances within forum postings to clarify what their process is and pretty much side steps the question and posts up a discount sales pitch.

I for one, no matter what I spent on a Range Rover, would never be spending top dollar for used goods with a questionable history. With Arnott you may have new redesigned bladder but it most likely is on a high mileage strut that happened to have passed some test. If I am going to purchase used parts then I purchase actual used parts where there is disclosure of the mileage on the rig they come off of. Afterall, I can always spray paint a used strut if I were at all concerned with someone looking up under my fenders. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Makes sense to me. So I will not be purchasing Arnott struts. I do have their front air bladders which seem like a good upgrade over OEM.

Are Delphi struts the same OEM strut that came on the L322? I mean if we were to purchase them from LR would they be Delphi units?

2006 L322 4.2L SC

·
Registered
169 Posts
https://www.arnottcanada.com/landrover-rangerover(superchargedonly)l322-2006-air-suspension-products.aspx <-- the site arnott has them as "manufactured air struts", for 338 USD a piece, -50 for core) Vs 303 US for brand new oem ones from island 4x4. I would rather buy the brand new ones for 303 vs 338-50 core for re manufactured ones, there is only a 15 dollar difference + shipping costs wherever you live. i have nothing wrong with saving money but for 15 dollars why would anybody not want the brand new oem one. If they rebuilt them to be superior to the stock ones i would understand, but i recall several people emailing arnott about these struts and they are refurbished struts, with new airbags, which pretty much means used struts with a new bag on them.
Well the place I buy struts from has them for around $200 + a $50 core charge. So that's a good bit cheaper, especially if replacing the struts in pairs.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Makes sense to me. So I will not be purchasing Arnott struts. I do have their front air bladders which seem like a good upgrade over OEM.

Are Delphi struts the same OEM strut that came on the L322? I mean if we were to purchase them from LR would they be Delphi units?

2006 L322 4.2L SC
the oems are Delphi, but the land rover ones are labeled with "land rover" on them but they're the same thing. with the expection to the 200+% markup on the land rover logo on them.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
FWIW I casll them Arnott and asked the service man how the new shocks they sell are rebuilt he said they remove the old bag clean and paint the strut and install a new bag and stickers the old strut if its not leaking is reused.
SO IMHO their is no reason to spend money on used parts,
I would pay the little difference and get brand new parts.
it does make a difference when you put in new struts,
your truck will ride like it did when it left the factory

1 - 20 of 25 Posts