RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Not sure what pin connector the RRS has (looks like maybe its some g/d proprietary connector) as I've never trailered anything w mine, but I bought the 3 pin connector, heat shrink and wire for my FJ for about $30 at the local Tractor Supply store and made my own.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Just thinking about this.

So if I want to trailer something with my RRS I gotta buy a hitch kit, but then the car is not prewired for a trailer, and I gotta buy the rats nest shown on the link for over a hundred bucks? My $30K Toyota came prewired with a plug already, plug in the trailer and go (I just wanted to modify the plug hence I changed it)...say this ain't so?

·
Registered
Now: 2016 RRS SVR. Previous: 2006 Range Rover Sport, 206k miles!
138 Posts
Yep, it is a load of crap to have to install a new wiring harness when it should be rigged already. How much is LR really saving by doing this? Unless it's a scheme to help the dealer sell accessories!!! At least for a hundred bucks you get a nice plug that handles the 7pin AND 4pin without needing to use an adapter(such as when equipped with a 7pin only and the trailer is a 4pin).

The wiring kit replaces some wiring and adds a bit more. Basically, the new harness goes inline with the lights, plus if you have the rear distance sensors, it taps into those. So if you have a trailer connected, the rear distance sensors actually get disabled which is quite nice. Not like you couldn't just press the P button when backing up!

What is nice is that if you have to add a brake controller, the connector is located up under the dash already. Just buy the controller, get an F-150(around year 2000+) plug, and slap it in! Some connectors actually state the F-150, plus now the LR3/RRS!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Thanks geflackt. Aye carumba :doh: .

·
Registered
Now: 2016 RRS SVR. Previous: 2006 Range Rover Sport, 206k miles!
138 Posts
Here's a pic during the install - cat decided to help out:

Hardest part was trying to figure out how to remove the inner left panel without breaking things.... things got broken.....

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gooseyloosey said:
but I bought the 3 pin connector, heat shrink and wire for my FJ for about $30 at the local Tractor Supply store and made my own.
I was very close to doing this project from scratch... but just ordered the wire kit for $100.
Agreed, it's a load of YKW that the truck doesn't come prewired. RRS is the least equipped car in it's class, and probably a couple classes below, too. But at least I have 456 miles of wire and two computers to run all my fancy and useless off road suspension settings.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,478 Posts
Is this trailer operation for what I think it is ??? Did you settle on the final footage of the soon to be yacht?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
A yacht, huh? When I grow up I wanna be a dentist just like you, Eric. :cry: Are there big bodies of water in Scottsdale to "yacht" in? :lol:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,478 Posts
...and it's going to need one of those special Lavazza coffee machines on board too I hear for the lower galley, so that when floating on Lake Powell/Pleasant we can have nothing but the best coffee!

:D :D

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
umbertob said:
A yacht, huh? When I grow up I wanna be a dentist just like you, Eric. :cry: Are there big bodies of water in Scottsdale to "yacht" in? :lol:
If there's not enough water out there, trailer it East. You can practically drive it on the roads here, its been raining for 3 weeks straight.

[youtube:iklopx55]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGpQej3o9eo[/youtube:iklopx55]

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PJPR01 said:
Is this trailer operation for what I think it is ??? Did you settle on the final footage of the soon to be yacht?
Haha. It's actually to pull my friends boat - I'll have to post some pics if it all works out. I'm still saving my moola for the new house, so no new toys for me. :?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Drevs said:
PJPR01 said:
Haha. It's actually to pull my friends boat - I'll have to post some pics if it all works out. I'm still saving my moola for the new house, so no new toys for me. :?
Drevs, you can live on a boat, too.

Sonny Crockett did on Miami Vice.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,478 Posts
Drevs said:
I could also live in a van, down by the river. :D
One of the best Farley routines ever...only you don't qualify since you're not "thrice divorced"!!!

:D :D

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
umbertob said:
gooseyloosey said:
Sonny Crockett did on Miami Vice.
The new Micheal Mann series, Scottsdale Gingivitis.
For the pilot may I suggest a shoot-em up scene involving a black RRS with 24's and red plastic brake covers?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts