RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 HSE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bout that time,, where's everyone getting their alternators at the best price & what alternator is best?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
238 Posts
Bob's Alternator & Swiss Cheese Shop, now online. But probably not. :)

Can't say for sure where's best to buy, or what brand, but can simply comment that the Carquest remanufactured alternator I had installed by a shop in a mountain town after it failed on a vacation is still working just fine, although it's only been a few thousand miles since then. 2004 Range Rover.

·
Registered
238 Posts
For what it's worth, mine failed around 115,000 miles, and when I shopped for my ride I came across other similar (BMW M62) rides that also had alternator replacements, so it seems that it's not uncommon for these to fail around then. (I'm sure the failure mileages can vary quite a bit between rides.) The water-cooled BMW alternators have an impressive and cool way of sometimes failing spectacularly, with normality one minute and all sorts of screaming, clouds of rubber smoke, and a broken drive belt just a few minutes later. Quite impressive, really, a performance worthy of an Oscar. I can't speak for others, but for me this would now be a 100K+ mile task for an M62 (for the few lower-mileage examples left): Bite the bullet and PREVENTIVELY replace the water pump, radiator and alternator (and possibly even transmission cooler) around that mark since I routinely drive my L322 in remote areas like Death Valley and the Sierras. I saved a lot of money on the low vehicle purchase price, so I can throw money at preventive repairs like that to eliminate knowing tow truck drivers by name. Sounds like perhaps you're doing the same? :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
And for what it's worth, threatening M62 alternator noises/squealing can often sound like they're coming from the adjacent power steering pump, but a Land Rover mechanic once assured me that M62 power steering pump failures are actually uncommon. M62 alternators, not so much.

·
Registered
2003 HSE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For what it's worth, mine failed around 115,000 miles, and when I shopped for my ride I came across other similar (BMW M62) rides that also had alternator replacements, so it seems that it's not uncommon for these to fail around then. (I'm sure the failure mileages can vary quite a bit between rides.) The water-cooled BMW alternators have an impressive and cool way of sometimes failing spectacularly, with normality one minute and all sorts of screaming, clouds of rubber smoke, and a broken drive belt just a few minutes later. Quite impressive, really, a performance worthy of an Oscar. I can't speak for others, but for me this would now be a 100K+ mile task for an M62 (for the few lower-mileage examples left): Bite the bullet and PREVENTIVELY replace the water pump, radiator and alternator (and possibly even transmission cooler) around that mark since I routinely drive my L322 in remote areas like Death Valley and the Sierras. I saved a lot of money on the low vehicle purchase price, so I can throw money at preventive repairs like that to eliminate knowing tow truck drivers by name. Sounds like perhaps you're doing the same? :)
So with that, what brand alternator did you get & where..112k miles here

·
Registered
238 Posts
If money isn't tight, I'd say preventively replace it at 112K miles. Others may rightfully disagree. Can't recommend a brand, other than to say (as above) that my remanufactured Carquest alternator installed several thousand miles ago is working fine so far, a statistical sample of one. And the entire BMW cooling system is suspect after 100K miles -- see the "Robison Service" website.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,421 Posts
Take a defibrillator when you go shopping. Dunno about over there but the list price for the M62 alternator in Oz when the bearings in mine failed last year was just over A$4,000.

I was able to source one for just over A$1,000. My replacement is a new Hella, not a refurb.

At least they are relatively easy to replace. (I did my water pump at the same time.)

One day I may get around to putting new bearings in the old alternator - if I can get it apart. It's bloody reluctant to release the screws even with an impact driver.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
607 Posts
Why you are not trying repair your alternator?
First time i replaced bearing on alternator while i was dealing with the timing.
Second time i replaced voltage regulator.

Alternator was denso made like starter motor.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,421 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
One day I may get around to putting new bearings in the old alternator - if I can get it apart. It's bloody reluctant to release the screws even with an impact driver.
Hi Ron,
I didn't know these were actually built anymore - thought they stopped over 10 years ago. Many rebuild/refurbish the returned cores including Bosch (used to, anyway), AC Delco and many other good rebuilders that use good parts.

You could get a kit to replace the wear items, and the regulator which is the most common failure - here's an example...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bout that time,, where's everyone getting their alternators at the best price & what alternator is best?
I use these guys from UK for my M62 L322 bits . Looks like they do have watercooled Bosch/Hella alternator

·
Registered
868 Posts
The best value is OReilly’s. I’ve gotten cheaper, but they don’t last. Then, what the dealer’s charge is robbery for one that is not much better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts