RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a P38 (2002) because I love the body style. I've been looking at the third gen and it is growing on me.
I've heard the 2008 was the most reliable one due to some engine changes for 09-12. Reliability is a relative term. But an 2008 under 100k is easy to locate and lots to choose from. I'm thinking HSE Full Size for sure. Not supercharged. Maybe SC. Nobody knows better than an owner which is why I'm asking you. This would be a mall crawler, dinner and the opera with my wife. Black exterior with ivory piping I believe for the interior. I've got a black/black with Piano Black P38 HSE.
The wood and DVD system in the rear for children will be a nice touch as well.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Go for the supercharged. I have an 06, first year with the 6spd tranny and 4.2 Jag SC engine, but not the interior updates the 07-09 got.

I'd go for an 09 SC. 4.2L engine is bulletproof. As much as I want a 2012, the 5.0L in the 10-12 is prone to some major failures which I couldn't afford to deal with.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
327 Posts
I love my 2010 Lux. I found this one owner with every option except the wood steering wheel, but that isn't a big deal. Narrow down exactly what you want as far as color, options, etc. Find something with a good service history, check it out really well or get a PPI done, and pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I agree with BTM. The 10-12 trucks are great, packed with tech.. but have lots of engine troubles. I'd suggest an 08-09 truck with luxury package. Heated/cooled seats, rear headrest entertainment, and lots of leather.. not to mention a hundred other things. If you can score an Autobiography or Westminster you'll love the features and extra luxury. To decide between a Supercharged engine versus a naturally aspirated you really have to drive one, while the extra power is nice, the N/A engine still has plenty. One deciding factor could be that the Supercharged models are usually better equipped, but HSEs may have similar/same equipment.

Good luck:cool:

·
Registered
631 Posts
I don't think there's any downside to the SC engine as far as reliability.

Can anyone comment on how the 10-12 5l engine really is for reliability? Do they all need timing chain guides eventually? Or is it hit or miss? Does the 5l suffer from any OTHER engine problems?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mine has run perfectly fine and I do a lot of driving between MD and FL and everywhere else so mine has been reliable for me, and I take care of it. Apparently, they all have the issue until they changed the guides I believe mid year of 2012 (correct me if I'm wrong)? As far as if every one will all need replacing, who knows. I'd be interested to see a poll on here of 10-12 owners who have had the issue.

As far as power goes, a RRSC wouldn't do anything for me honestly. After driving cars with about 700hp, which now feels slow because of getting used to it, the N/A is fine for what I use it for. Just a nice luxury cruiser and to pick up stuff.

I'm not aware of any other engine issues with the 10-12.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Mine has run perfectly fine and I do a lot of driving between MD and FL and everywhere else so mine has been reliable for me, and I take care of it. Apparently, they all have the issue until they changed the guides I believe mid year of 2012 (correct me if I'm wrong)? As far as if every one will all need replacing, who knows. I'd be interested to see a poll on here of 10-12 owners who have had the issue.
I had a 2011 Sport with the N/A 5.0 and had the guides replaced at the end of the extended warranty. Besides that I don't think I did anything else to it. I sold it to my friend and he's still driving it at 150k miles. The only thing that scares me with these engines is the $7000 bill I got, which of course was kindly covered by JLRNA..

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not at all. Either way, something is bound to break at some point on everyones.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
There weren't any changes between 07 and 09 aside from MINOR trim differences in 09 for the SC (different wheels and chrome spokes on the steering wheel).

Powertrain wise, the Jag 4.4 and 4.2 are solid motors. I have not had one mechanical issue, but mine gets treated like a cream puff. You could probably score a better deal on an HSE and there are more of them in the marketplace, but the bang for the buck on an SC is unparalled.

The P38 and L322 are polar opposites of each other, so having both will never feel redundant. Although the L322 lacks a lot of the P38's character, it is just so much more relaxing to drive.

Get a good pre-purchase inspection.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all. Great information. I'm thinking 09 LUX or AB. I've got to compete with the wife's
GL 550 with Everything so she is used to luxury. This would be a family trip car as well so that's where the AB and LUX come to play. I'll be sure to keep my options open.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
19 Posts
I just went through this same thing a couple of weeks ago. I had a 2002 P38 and loved it. I was looking at '10-'12's but got nervous due to all the issues I was reading about. Ended up narrowing my search down to '08-'09 due to all the good things I have read bout the 4.2 engine.

I picked up an '08 supercharged in excellent shape and have put just over 1000 miles on it now. It is a completely different driving experience from the P38. The power is incredible too, I cant even imagine what the 5.0L engine is like.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Could you imagine the 5.0 SC engine in the L405? It's lighter than our L322's. Really want one of those but I keep looking, cheapest I have seen a 2013 L405 SC is $85,000 Canadian :(

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Could you imagine the 5.0 SC engine in the L405? It's lighter than our L322's. Really want one of those but I keep looking, cheapest I have seen a 2013 L405 SC is $85,000 Canadian :(

When I ordered my 2017 I test drove a 16' SC they had on the lot. It was way too fast for an SUV, and felt faster than my Boxster! My SC-V6 is not even close to the speed of the L405's SC-V8 8-|=

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5 Posts
I can attest that the your L322 will outclass her GL500. My wife was initially hesitant, feeling that her GL was a little more comfortable. But after driving it once, that attitude is complete history. Every chance she gets that don't require the third row of seats in the Merc, she will sneak off in the Rover.

·
Registered
327 Posts
To me, the L322 makes a statement. The L405 is a nice truck, but in my opinion they resemble the ford explorer just a little too much to me. There is not really any other truck that looks like the boxed style of the L322...the same goes with the G63 and G65...it is unique in it's own right.

·
Registered
118 Posts
FWIW, the 2008/2009 would be a huge every day improvement on your P38.

A 2010+ is an even better driving car as the 5.0 is more responsive. However the timing chain failures and a known tendency to overheat without warning causing head warpage can be an expensive addition to such ownership.

We have one of each - my wife drives the nicer one and every time I swap her I'm impressed with how differently her LR drives.

I still like the affordable reliability of my 2008 HSE daily driver, though.

As someone already stated, the Jag 4.2 and 4.4 motors are bulletproof so, if your budget doesn't run to a $5-7000 rainy day fund for unforeseen repairs, I'd recommend the earlier of the two L322's. If it does, then never mind, go for the later model.

If you have the opportunity to test drive them back to back you'll know exactly what I mean.

Rob

·
Registered
327 Posts
I can definitely say I love the way my 10 drives and feels way more than I did my pre 10's. It could all very well be in my head though lol.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts