RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a citation to put front license plate yet don't want to drill holes on the front bumper. Any ideas and recommendations will be appreciated !!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ms. MDX, you're awesome yet I'm aware of these from Porsche forum...this won't fit RR...:oops:

I was really hoping there's tow hitch hook where I could screw the plate in, yet it's at an odd place underneath front area...also this nifty one http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml won't work either as it'll cover the front middle camera...What a predicament ....:(

I really hope there's non invasive double sided tape solution......searching for it profusely..

All Californians have front license plate on their RR...? I have my 911 for 3 years without one and haven't seen an L405 with one....wife got one today as evidently she didn't stop on white line on STOP sign but did few inches past over to yellow?? Ridiculous !

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I don't have a front plate either! My RR came from FL, which doesn't require a front plate, so holes were never drilled in my front bumper. The only ticket so far was while I was legally parked at a meter in West Hollywood. I was on a side street and just stopped to check out a store. The meter maid went through and gave me a ticket for the plate, even though I was legal on the meter. Could have avoided the fine if I proved I had a front plate and got it signed off at local Police Dept. Didn't bother and just paid the ticket! Many in my area don't have front plates on all different types of cars.

If I ever get pulled over for no plate, I plan on pulling out my original temp FL registration, that I've kept in the glove box, and hope to get a warning for being a helpless woman who couldn't drill some holes in her front bumper ... worth a try `) ;-)

I think we had some old posts discussing plates with no holes. I'll see if I can find them.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
All Californians have front license plate on their RR...? I have my 911 for 3 years without one and haven't seen an L405 with one....wife got one today as evidently she didn't stop on white line on STOP sign but did few inches past over to yellow?? Ridiculous !
I wondered what you had done to get the citation.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
89 Posts
I've never run a front plate in NY even though we're supposed to have one. I've been pulled over for speeding and my experience has been if I'm nice to the officer he'll give me a no plate ticket instead of a speeding ticket. So it has actually worked to my advantage, lol.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never run a front plate in NY even though we're supposed to have one. I've been pulled over for speeding and my experience has been if I'm nice to the officer he'll give me a no plate ticket instead of a speeding ticket. So it has actually worked to my advantage, lol.
Yes I know that for a fact that my wife was NOT nice to the officer, but hey...what can you do. I've gotta deal with it now ...:(

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GMG Motorsports make a line of no hole plate mounts, I would give them a call.
It's same as others...fits into front tow hook in the bumper, which RR doesn't have ...

I'll have to find some good 3M tape...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
I will try to be a voice of reason in this to the best of my ability.

I fully understand not wanting to drill holes and mount a front plate into a very expensive piece of plastic. My thoughts on this are why not just drill and mount it?

If its because you feel resale will be hurt due to having holes in the bumper, your state requires it. Unless your planning to sell it out of state at some point then it wont be an issue when it gets traded in or sold. These aren't a common vehicle wehre someone is going to choose the one without a front plate as they walk thru the used car lot. Also no dealer is going to ding you for having the plate mounted if its required by the state.

If its for cosmetic reasons and you want to be able to remove later. If you get a few more tickets that will cost more than having someone fill in and dust some paint on the repair if you chose to remove it later. Along with that is if you try to rig it on there with duct tape and bungy cords (JK) and it falls off your not only going to get a ticket for no plate again but also have to order a new plate and incur more costs.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will try to be a voice of reason in this to the best of my ability.

I fully understand not wanting to drill holes and mount a front plate into a very expensive piece of plastic. My thoughts on this are why not just drill and mount it?

If its because you feel resale will be hurt due to having holes in the bumper, your state requires it. Unless your planning to sell it out of state at some point then it wont be an issue when it gets traded in or sold. These aren't a common vehicle wehre someone is going to choose the one without a front plate as they walk thru the used car lot. Also no dealer is going to ding you for having the plate mounted if its required by the state.

If its for cosmetic reasons and you want to be able to remove later. If you get a few more tickets that will cost more than having someone fill in and dust some paint on the repair if you chose to remove it later. Along with that is if you try to rig it on there with duct tape and bungy cords (JK) and it falls off your not only going to get a ticket for no plate again but also have to order a new plate and incur more costs.

Just my $.02
Yes purely for looks and cosmetic reasons, don't care about resale value or impact, whenever that'd be. IMO RR looks hideous with front plate...

I'd put it on and remove. If you abide by traffic rules and don't screw up, then chances are that you won't be asked to get the front plate. It's not strictly enforced. Heck, I see 15+ years old cars without front license plate all the time; yep, I'm noticing it now.....:-|

·
Registered
101 Posts
Does anyone have a good solution yet?
I just moved to a state that requires front plates, but this move may be short term for me and don't want holes.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,759 Posts
I know for a fact that pretty much every Autozone in Mecklinberg County sells double sided trim tape. It really can't be that hard to screw a tasteful plate frame to your plate and stick your plate to the bumper.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
The other day I saw a parked car with his front plate sitting on the dash, so you could see it when standing in front of the car. There were no holes in his front bumper.

I wonder if having it displayed on the dash meets the legal CA requirement of having a front plate? It does for a temporary paper registration!

Maybe I should remove my front plate from my file cabinet and at least have it in the car!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
That metal plate on the dash behind the windshield can literally become a lethal blade flying through your cabin in case of a high speed collision. Not a good idea.

I got 2 tickets for not having the front license plate here in SoCal a few years ago on a different car (both in Long Beach where I used to live at the time, and both issued by parking enforcement while I was 100% legally parked...) Haven't been without plate on my front bumper since. Depending on where you live in states where they are required, the law can be very much enforced. With speed cameras, toll roads, etc., increasingly relying on capturing the license plate of violators with cameras and videos, enforcement will surely continue and likely increase.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts