RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im shopping for a SLR for under $500 with a lens. There are couple Nikons, a Cannon, and the Olympus E420. I use a Olympus E1 and I will upgrade to a E3 soon, so Im pretty loyal to Olympus cameras. But they arent very user friendly for the new SLR user. Im shopping it to get it for my girlfriend who is still in the point and shoot digitals. So I need a cheap SLR that is great for a newbie. What would you suggest?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
How about sticking w the Olympus so she can use your lenses...or maybe you don't want her to.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think my E1 lens will fit on the smaller SLR's olympus makes. I have a E500 mud/dirt camera that the lens on it might work on the E420. I will look into it. Thanks for the idea.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Yes, dbl check that. If they both use the 4/3rds mount it should be compatible.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I'm a newbie too, at the time I got the D40 which was the lowest offering by Nikon. I think everyone might be making even more stripped down versions now, but I've got to say, that was THE BEST purchase we made when my wife got pregnant. Happy with all the pictures. Only downside for me is the flash, too intense; I covered it with a small strip of tissue paper to soften it up and it works great. I going to have to assume all the entry level DSLRs from the reputable manufacturers are going to suit her needs; you may just find some features you want over others that sway your decision. So you might as well stay with Olympus?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts