RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow enthusiast,
It's time for me to buy a diagnostic tool. I can resight about all the 00 codes from a RRC diagnostic box but my new to me 2008 Range Rover Supercharged is just slightly more advanced...

My question is regarding Best value LR specific diagnostic tools. Obviously, the $4000 dealer test book is going to be the best but really for the real world DIY. I need to read CEL codes, dash display fault codes, and transmission codes and resets as well as my ever scary EAS system that will stay intact on this truck even if it breaks me.

Please don't slap the freshman rover down unless there is a thread specifically on the best value products. I always try and buy the best value not the cheapest or most expensive.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Check out the Atlantic British iLand

·
Registered
2011 RRSC
73 Posts
I have had a BBS faultmate msv2 and a GAP iidbt. GAP is definately the best bang for you buck but the faultmate is dealer level access and comes with an awesome support system that helps justify the cost. I wouldnt hesitate to do either one again.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just went to the Gap site and they are only selling the BT and Pro now so you're in for 700 bucks. That's disappointing, guess I'll check out the ILand.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Well what do expect for an exceptional setup that covers what you could possibly need and what you want? Iland is not going to come close to covering what Gap products do. The folks at Gap have stellar CS, are easy to work with and Pat checks their forum below frequently.

Have you tried WalMart or Pep Boys for better options? :lol:

·
Registered
94 Posts
That seems a little. . . condescending. I was just pointing out that they had a cheaper option that they have now removed. Thread title is bang for buck, right ?

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Not at all there are diagnostic gear at every auto department or store. It all depends on what you are expecting or want. Since most of my work is basic OBDII older rigs I have n innova I do most of my engine work with...Purchase back when Schuck's was around.

There is some level of realism that needs to be addressed since you have a much more complex vehicle. If this were an old P38 or even a first gen L322 or L320 you could get away with relatively cheap equipment. Since you have the third generation L320, and end of run, Gap and Iland are are your only viable options for great customer service, fast response and qualityproducts. You obviously plan to keep your vehicle if you are exploring diagnostic gear. Get something worth while that will cover all the systems.

I have no clue where your are getting $700 for any GAP device. You certainly do not need the pro version that covers every model and takes a subscription. You need your own fanny covered not every Land Rover in the area. If you purchase another LR product you can always get a second vehicle license for it's VIN. The IIDTool BT version does that for $529. There is chart on their web site that shows all the coverage provided that is well beyond basic read and clear for codes. Again, shoot Pat a message, they have their own vendors section below for research. You can also contact their support department through their website.

iLand is rather mystery in my book. I have never used or seen one. I have been unable to locate a detailed comparison chart for what is covered for each model. As with the GAP folks, AB has great customer service and are the folks I call for most any part or even info to verify they have something in stock when sending someone their way. At $400 it may be worth a call to verify it's coverage for your particular model. It may meet and exceed your needs or it might be missing something important to you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Okay, thanks for a very comprehensive post. For reference I'm in Canada and the prices right off their site are $681 Cnd for the IIDTool BT and well over 2K for the Pro. The ILand is $400 USD so really not a lot of savings after the exchange, especially considering your new information. I'm not new to modding or tuning but very new to the LR/RR game. Cheers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Update: I was wrong, when you actually go to order there is still the option to buy the IIDTool for a little over 500 Cnd.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Late in responding, but the IID Tool with BT is well worth it. My dealer would not update the firmware to fix a bug in the parking-aid ECU for MY16 RRS. I asked Patrick @Gap Diagnostics and he responded within a day and emailed me the instructions to update the ECU.

My dealer did never took the time to understand what the issue was and even getting LRA, did not help.

Get the tool that is supported by folks who provide excellent customer service and keep the firmwares up-to-date.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts