Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a year trying to figure which year and model RR to buy for serious off roading and driving about 15k miles per year over the road. Could someone help a new guy trying to decipher which way to go? Would you consider a supercharged or non supercharged model and what year? Budget to purchase is $40k and what would be an annual budget to maintain like it should be? Any and all time and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Hard Ten.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
436 Posts
I just purchased a 2008 SC w/ 75K miles for mid US$30s.

It was well maintained at a local dealer by the second owner and is in excellent shape, in and out.

I live in Colorado, so the SC really helps to maintain power in the mountains (11,000+ feet when driving to Vail).

As a knowledgable person said to me, these are high-end luxury vehicles, so even for normal maintenance, expect to pay a lot.

I'm not a fan of $tealers for service, and have a couple of good independents here in Denver I can use.

For $40K you should easily be able to get an '08, and perhaps even an '09.

As I've only owned the truck for a couple of weeks, I'm no help on maintenance costs.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
For "serious offroading" I'd get a P38 and put lockers in it. I don't believe there's a locker available for L322's.
I'll take solid axles with locked diffs over 'cross linked' independent suspension and traction control any day.

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
956 Posts
If you don't go with the p38, I'd get a Classic and do some of the similar things that Kmagnuss suggestion. I go off road about once or twice a month. My Classic was a much better off road truck (with the spring suspension conversion) than my L322. For serious off roading, you'd be much better off with an older model. For $40k you could build a p38 or Classic into a great, comfortable and reliable truck including the purchase price.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
321 Posts
Serious off road for me always means solid full float axles, manual Warn hubs front and rear, ARB lockers, Warn winch, etc.

In that case, along with the other guys, I vote for older models.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not so sure I'm on board with this thinking. The traction control should theoretically work better than being locked. Get an L322 and put some decent tires on it. If you insist on being locked, don't get a previous generation RR. You should get an FZJ80 Land Cruiser. They are much better off road than a Classic or P38.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Been looking for a year trying to figure which year and model RR to buy for serious off roading and driving about 15k miles per year over the road. Could someone help a new guy trying to decipher which way to go? Would you consider a supercharged or non supercharged model and what year? Budget to purchase is $40k and what would be an annual budget to maintain like it should be? Any and all time and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Hard Ten.
Go buy a Mercedes G wagon, 3 lockers + soild axles/old school ladder frame. There is a optional rear locker on the 07+ l322's, standard on supercharged models if you must have a range rover, and it will be much more reliable than a p38/or classic. People say use the p38/classic for offroading, but ive owned a p38 for many years and imo the l322 can offroad better than it. So I say buy a low mileage 07+ and Up.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It really depends on emotion! What do you want?? A LandvRoverroduct? Range Rover? The L322 Mk III is the pinnacle of Land Rover off road technology (that is actually reasonably affordable). Everything said already is true. RRC is awesome. As is a P38' with lockers even better, but you can get a late 92 RRC with coils and rear traction control and no locker is needed... You can get a G wagon and you'll love it but its not a RR by any means. Same for a diesel Defender. If you've got 40K to play with I say go for newer MK III... If that is what you want! Off road they are amazing, put some good boots on it, some under armour and Bob's your uncle! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I'm not so sure I'm on board with this thinking. The traction control should theoretically work better than being locked.
You've never driven in a truck with locked diffs. There's no comparison to traction control. TC is better than open diffs for sure, but not in the same league as locked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to thank everyone for their time and input on trying to guide me in the right way to go.
That being said, I need to ask what you all consider serious off roading? Living in the southeast we have creeks, seriously muddy roads after a good rain and deep ditches and some steep hills but no rocks. What are most of the conditions you all run in? I need something that would be comfortable during highway runs of up to 300 miles one way. It doesnt't have to be a RR but would like to try one since I have owned Chevy,GMC and Ford gas and diesel models. Old K5 Blazers and Suburbans, Broncos and a 2012 Audi Q7 TDI and a 2013 Cayenne Diesel. Thanks again in advance for your time and help. Hard Ten

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
I consider 'serious offroading' anything that REQUIRES 33's, lockers, armor. I live in SW Florida now and don't consider the neck deep mud serious offroading... it's a ******* yacht club. I hate wheeling in FL and stopped after I moved here. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts